Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Sort of an Old Fashioned

It needs a better name, but that's basically what this is, an Old Fashioned just not made in the traditional way.

My main objection to most whiskey cocktails is that the whiskey disappears. I don't want that to happen. So here's what I do.

Into an old-fashioned glass (a large on-the-rocks glass), I give the Angostura bottle a Gary Reagan shake (meaning 8 or 9 shakes). Then I add a small pour of Cointreau -- enough to just cover the bottom of the glass, and the same amount of simple syrup. To that I add about three fingers of Rittenhouse Rye BIB. Then I stir it with one or two ice cubes, and maybe add another one to just about fill the glass. Spicy and fruity with whiskey in every bite. That's it, no fruit salad garnish. I like it.
    Last edited by cowdery; 10-22-2013 at 00:46.

Enthusiast

Re: Sort of an Old Fashioned

I will try this, never thought of using cointreau but it makes sense, my current go to recipe uses a simmilar amount of agnostura orange bitters which is mighty addictive stuff

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    It needs a better name, but that's basically what this is, an Old Fashioned just not made in the traditional way.

My main objection to most whiskey cocktails is that the whiskey disappears. I don't want that to happen. So here's what I do.

Into an old-fashioned glass (a large on-the-rocks glass), I give the Angostura bottle a Gary Reagan shake (meaning 8 or 9 shakes). Then I add a small pour of Cointreau -- enough to just cover the bottom of the glass, and the same amount of simple syrup. To that I add about three fingers of Rittenhouse Rye BIB. Then I stir it with one or two ice cubes, and maybe add another one to just about fill the glass. Spicy and fruity with whiskey in every bite. That's it, no fruit salad garnish. I like it.
    That sounds yummy. I'll have to try it this weekend. Thanks for sharing!
    - H

Advanced Taster

I just tried this tonight, and the result was fantastic. Most of these that I order at bars are way too sweet and have too much ice--two things that I dislike in my cocktails. So I combined the ingredients, but stirred and strained into a chilled glass. Made for a delicious and potent cocktail. Good thing, because I bought a bottle of Cointreau just for this!

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Sort of a rock and rye, too, or on the margin of both.

Gary

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    Sort of a rock and rye, too, or on the margin of both.

Gary
    Another way to get a Rock and Rye of sorts is to create a spiced simple syrup. Takes a bit of time but can be rewarding. But hard to make in small quantities so good to have friends available to help you go through it in a timely manner! One I have used and enjoyed that was provided by a poster on eGullet:

Dessert Spiced Syrup

3 cups water
    6 cinnamon sticks, broken up
    18 whole cloves
    4 star anise
    12 allspice berries
    12 black peppercorns
    ¼ teaspoon red chile flakes
    3 cups sugar

Bring water to a boil in a small saucepan and add spices. Allow to boil for three minutes. Add sugar and stir to dissolve. Lower heat and allow syrup to simmer for ten minutes, stirring occasionally. Turn off heat and allow to cool to room temperature. Strain out spices before using and funnel into clean glass bottles for storage. Refrigerate for up to one month.

Could probably cut this in half to start with if you don't want as much. One can also always experiment with your preferred spice recipe. If the pepper sounds like it could be too much a bit of fresh ginger can add a different flavor profile.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

My autumn '13 take on the Old Fashioned

5-6 dashes Angostura bitters
    1 teaspoon Maple Syrup
    2 luxardo cherries w/ a drop or two of the juice
    heavy handed pour of either WTR101 or OGD114
    stir over ice

my wife like an orange slice, I go without

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Just whipped one up. Fantastic! I used Ri1, which melded very well. I'll go with a bit more bite on the rye with the WTR101 on my next one, just to see how it goes. But, I like!

Trying to work on a name for it....
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

I do something very similar to Chuck's idea, but with Wild Turkey Honey instead of Cointreau. It makes a damned tasty Old Fashioned Cocktail.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Advanced Taster

Tried this on Friday and really enjoyed this cocktail. I substituted the Cointreau with it's Italian cousin Gran Gala, but it was good non-the-less. I will be having this again soon. Thank you for sharing.