Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Guru

Re: Sort of an Old Fashioned

Quote Originally Posted by rndenks View Post
    Tried this on Friday and really enjoyed this cocktail. I substituted the Cointreau with it's Italian cousin Gran Gala, but it was good non-the-less. I will be having this again soon. Thank you for sharing.
    Useful to be aware that Gran Gala, like Grand Marnier, is a brandy based orange liquer whereas Cointreau is a triple sec made with a neutral grain spirit and thus tends to be drier (less sweet) than the brandy based curacao style. Just to mess things up a bit more Cointreau now makes a brandy based curacao style orange liqueur called Cointreau Noir. Combier does the same thing with a triple sec and also a brandy based version called Royal Combier.

May want to use less simple syrup when using curacao or other brandy based orange liqueurs. Or just know it may be a touch sweeter!

My favorite currently are the Ferrand Dry Curacao and Solerno Blood Orange liqueur which tastes very much like blood oranges to me. Both are a curacao style with a brandy base but are perhaps a bit less sweet than Gran Gala.

I must confess I have a bit of an orange liqueur "fetish" and I tend to have at least 6-8 different kinds at any one time.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Useful to be aware that Gran Gala, like Grand Marnier, is a brandy based orange liquer whereas Cointreau is a triple sec made with a neutral grain spirit and thus tends to be drier (less sweet) than the brandy based curacao style. Just to mess things up a bit more Cointreau now makes a brandy based curacao style orange liqueur called Cointreau Noir. Combier does the same thing with a triple sec and also a brandy based version called Royal Combier.

May want to use less simple syrup when using curacao or other brandy based orange liqueurs. Or just know it may be a touch sweeter!

My favorite currently are the Ferrand Dry Curacao and Solerno Blood Orange liqueur which tastes very much like blood oranges to me. Both are a curacao style with a brandy base but are perhaps a bit less sweet than Gran Gala.

I must confess I have a bit of an orange liqueur "fetish" and I tend to have at least 6-8 different kinds at any one time.
    Sometimes, my lack of attention to detail, and general airheaddedness astounds even me...I indeed did use Grand Marnier...WhoooooopsieDaisy!!!!

I used the CEHT Rye in a couple I made yesterday, and they exceeded even my first couple...

BTW, think this is barrelageable?
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Advanced Taster

Interesting. Thanks for the lesson in orange liqueurs, and now I guess this gives me an "excuse" to try mixing one up with Cointreau!!!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Sometimes, my lack of attention to detail, and general airheaddedness astounds even me...I indeed did use Grand Marnier...WhoooooopsieDaisy!!!!

I used the CEHT Rye in a couple I made yesterday, and they exceeded even my first couple...

BTW, think this is barrelageable?
    Absolutely. I have had several variations on an Old Fashioned that were barrel aged. I think some people may shy away from barrel aging something with simple syrup in it (Manhattan's, Negroni's and the like seem to be the most popular barrel aged cocktails although I recently had a barrel aged El Presidente that was rum based) but if the proof is adequate it should be fine. May need to be agitated a bit if the simple tries to settle out I suppose.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    That's interesting because when you mentioned substituting Gran Gala for Cointreau, I thought "Hmm, I wonder how Grand Marnier would taste in this drink?"

I think I may have to try a couple of these tonight... you know, for science.
    Pete

I hate scotch.

An Old Crotchety Fashioned in the glass at the moment. I am absolutely killing these things. I'm double fisting the Regan shakes on the Angostura, BTW. Ritt BIB in this one, but the Taylor Rye was a screamer. Another bottle in the bunker that I'm going to have to pull out, but there's a goat and 14 cases of Bourbon Supreme between me and it...
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

Enthusiast

I had one of these the other night, subbing Grand Marnier for Cointreau, and I thought it was a little heavy on the bitters. Perhaps my shakes of bitters are too vigorous? I guess the first clue was when the bottom of my glass was well covered with bitters and I just had to guesstimate how much Grand Marnier to add on top of it...
    Pete

I hate scotch.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNovaMan View Post
    I had one of these the other night, subbing Grand Marnier for Cointreau, and I thought it was a little heavy on the bitters. Perhaps my shakes of bitters are too vigorous? I guess the first clue was when the bottom of my glass was well covered with bitters and I just had to guesstimate how much Grand Marnier to add on top of it...
    Looks like you got more 'sperimentin' to do, Pete. Keep at 'er. Rome wasn't built in a day!
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by TheNovaMan View Post

Same here. My not-shallow pool of bitters left me wondering whether CC's rec of 8 or 9 shakes was tongue-in-cheek, or my angostura bottle was broken, or the like. It was fun to experiment in the lab, however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enthusiast

I'm currently drinking one made with five drops of bitters, a bottom-of-glass-covering pour of Grand Marnier, and about two fingers of Evan Williams. It's pretty good, but not quite spot on yet IMHO.
    Pete

I hate scotch.