Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: Bourbon Shelf Life / Storage

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Absolutely. 100% expectation of it being good.

Which leads me to the ultimate shorthand rule for whiskey - it's all good unless it isn't.

The only real enemies of whiskey are oxygen and sunlight. If the cork holds and the bottle is stored away from direct light the whiskey will be good for a very long time. Guys are buying stuff from the 60s and 70s, an EWSB 2000 would be a good buy in 2050.
    Thanks Yeti,
    This particular store in my neighborhood has this 1 and only bottle of EWSB 2000 for $32. I was tempted to buy, but the price should be $27 and I needed to make sure it would be good after 3 years of sitting on the shelf. Thanks. I hear the 2000 was a good year for this. I just don't know if I should pull the trigger for the $5 up charge.

The "it's all good unless it isn't" rule is fine if you are wealthy, I'm not willing to take chances with $30.

Thanks
    -Guy Debord

Guru

So long as the fill level looks good, and there aren't any signs that the bottle has been exposed to lots of light, I wouldn't let $5 stand in your way.

Advanced Taster

Does this also apply to mini bottles? My father-in-law has a collection of minis and probably some are over 30 years old? Some very cool bottles!

Guru

When buying vintage whiskeys, it's always important to check fill levels and product clarity. I've passed on a few that where not clear. I always check everything that is in a box.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    So long as the fill level looks good, and there aren't any signs that the bottle has been exposed to lots of light, I wouldn't let $5 stand in your way.
    You're right I should not let $5 stand in my way, but I am debating whether my next bottle should be the Eagle Rare SB-10 or the Evan Williams SB-10. Who has the better flavor for the dollar? I guess I'll just have to taste them in bars and make a decision.

I cannot see the fill level because EWSB has that black wax covering the neck of the bottle.

Thanks a bunch.
    -Guy Debord

Guru

Guy if the fill level is high enough to be covered by the wax then it's fine.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Apprentice

It was Steve Ury over at Sku's Recent Eats that did an experiment a couple years ago of the same scotch in three different mini bottles with three different fill levels, all stored in a closet for at least a year I believe. The one that was less than half full was the one that had changed noticeably. He concluded that it was when the amount of air is greater than the amount of whiskey, things start to change. I think that's what Pyle was referencing. You could always use Private Preserve or the like and gas your bottles. That's what I do. Never have to worry about oxidation or drinking them quickly.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Debord View Post
    You're right I should not let $5 stand in my way, but I am debating whether my next bottle should be the Eagle Rare SB-10 or the Evan Williams SB-10. Who has the better flavor for the dollar? I guess I'll just have to taste them in bars and make a decision.

I cannot see the fill level because EWSB has that black wax covering the neck of the bottle.

Thanks a bunch.
    If I was you id grab the EWSB, you wont be disappointed. Im also not a big fan of the ERSB

Advanced Taster

Does anyone use that canned compressed gas used to preserve open wine bottles? Assuming the bottle is 1/4 full and we do not plan to finish it soon, that might be and option. John Hansell mentioned it some time ago. John thought it might be a good idea.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by BourbonGuy View Post
    Does anyone use that canned compressed gas used to preserve open wine bottles? Assuming the bottle is 1/4 full and we do not plan to finish it soon, that might be and option. John Hansell mentioned it some time ago. John thought it might be a good idea.
    Here is the prior discussion including John's post. I use it on a few treasured ones but am not as sensitive as others to reasonable air time.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...light=nitrogen
    Thad

BTOTY-2011