Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 38 of 68 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast
    Taster

Re: What bourbon are you drinking in Australia? - Summer 2013

Quote Originally Posted by onemorepour View Post
    Aaahh TWE and their "collectible glass" shipping, saved me many $$$ on duty in the past!
    Welcome to the forum mate, another bloody queenslander, shouldnt you be drinking rum?!!!
    I have never order from TWE before, do you always get away with not paying duty? I noticed they have Rock Hill Farms and a few others I have been searching for

Advanced Taster

Picked up a bottle of Wathens and Rock Hill Farms today. Completely out the blue. Just went to get a cheeseburger from some shops near the gf places and while we waited, thought lets check out the bottle shop. Small and independent type. Walked in and BANG. Both bottles just stand out. Start talking to the owner and he saw I was hesitating to pull the trigger on both, so took 30 off the price. I love days like these.

So now I am sitting down and sipping on some RHF. I think this one will take a few tries to see if I like it or I love it. But its not bad at all.

Oh and I have passed on the info to BJW

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Vietish View Post
    Picked up a bottle of Wathens and Rock Hill Farms today. Completely out the blue. Just went to get a cheeseburger from some shops near the gf places and while we waited, thought lets check out the bottle shop. Small and independent type. Walked in and BANG. Both bottles just stand out. Start talking to the owner and he saw I was hesitating to pull the trigger on both, so took 30 off the price. I love days like these.

So now I am sitting down and sipping on some RHF. I think this one will take a few tries to see if I like it or I love it. But its not bad at all.

Oh and I have passed on the info to BJW
    Thanks for the info I will have to make a trip out there, it is right up there on my must try list.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Sydney BJW View Post
    I have never order from TWE before, do you always get away with not paying duty? I noticed they have Rock Hill Farms and a few others I have been searching for
    I havent ordered from then since about 2012, that year I bought around 20-25 bottles from then in 5 seperate orders and never paid a cent in duty, I was probably just very luck because I have talked to people since then who have been done on their first order of one bottle.
    Back then the range was a little better and the prices were a little better with the exchange rate, I havent really been tempted to order anything recently.

Apprentice

I placed my first and only order with TWE mid last year. Four bottles all up and I got hit with import duty, alcohol duty, GST etc. From memory it was an additional $130. That was when the exchange rate was still good; in my opinion it would not be worth the effort now unless it's for something you really want that cannot be purchased here.

Enthusiast

Very quiet weekend whiskey wise, well maybe not at first, but completely dry after Friday night, I was a little distracted by the the football and company and drank close to a bottle of Bulleit rye neat over the evening, shit no am I doing that again, I have a 2 day hangover, damn friends that work in hospitality and their evil ways, all their fault obviously

Advanced Taster

Mate, us hospitality people know how to have fun. If you cant keep up, maybe your not trying hard enough. :P

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

I've learnt over the years not to try and keep up...... but it took me many, many weekend long hangovers to reach that conclusion

Enthusiast

Had three functions to attend commencing Thursday. A lot of beer though bourbon limited to WT/JBW with coke. Knackered.

Picked up a one litre 90 proof Makers at Nicks on Saturday. $65 - good price. Heaven Hill haven't responded to my email regarding proof reduction/price increase of EWB. A bit disappointed to be honest.

Hawks delivered the goods eh?

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

On the Elmer T Lee tonight. KBS Barrel and Barrel C. Amazing stuff. I should be catching up on last weeks episode of Justified while enjoying this!