Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 66 of 68 FirstFirst ... 16566465666768 LastLast
Results 651 to 660 of 674
  1. #651
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    49

    Re: What bourbon are you drinking in Australia? - Summer 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by bjbronwyn View Post
    Eagle rare is posing quite the conundrum for me . The first glass from my first bottle I hated it. Too much oak for me, and generally seemed out of balance. I said never again. The last few glasses however seemed great, finally undertanding why its a popular choice. Buy another bottle and have the same initial evaluation, sits in the bar for 6 months, getting better and better. Im now up to my fifth bottle and haven't had one ive enjoyed from the first glass.
    I wish I could buy the last quarter of the bottle ( for quarter the price). Any one had any similar experiences?
    I've only ever bought one bottle of ER10 and didn't like (or particularly hate) it at any point. I thought it was fairly dry, oaky and ... a touch thinner than expected given the 90 proof. Finished the bottle and never bought another. Interestingly enough I had a bottle of standard issue BT (back when it was still bottled at 45% and cost me $40) open at the same time that I enjoyed much more than the ER10. But then they dropped the proof and upped the price to $50 on the BT and I've never picked up another. Much rather fork over $90 for Bookers and add the water myself if need be!

  2. #652
    Taster
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    73

    Re: What bourbon are you drinking in Australia? - Summer 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by bjbronwyn View Post
    Eagle rare is posing quite the conundrum for me . The first glass from my first bottle I hated it. Too much oak for me, and generally seemed out of balance. I said never again. The last few glasses however seemed great, finally undertanding why its a popular choice. Buy another bottle and have the same initial evaluation, sits in the bar for 6 months, getting better and better. Im now up to my fifth bottle and haven't had one ive enjoyed from the first glass.
    I wish I could buy the last quarter of the bottle ( for quarter the price). Any one had any similar experiences?
    I know what you mean, the bottle does get better the longer it is open, a few bourbons do in my experience. My father in law usually drinks it when I open the bottle and than I hide it for a couple of months.

    I really miss Buffalo Trace a 45% although the 40% is still far superior than the 37% Jim Beam White.

  3. #653
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Gold Coast Australia
    Posts
    105

    Re: What bourbon are you drinking in Australia? - Summer 2013

    I decided to open up the George T Stagg Jr, first thoughts neat wow strong alcohol flavour very much in the background due to the fumes, decided to add a lump of ice and let it sit for a while, still strong alcohol but the flavours starting to shine through nice sweet flavours, so added another and in the end found the sweet spot of 3 cubs and let it sit for a good 20mins. At first I didn't really like the jr but after after playing around a bit it's really nice, strong but wow packs flavour so many different flavours coming through. Certainly worth getting from the Uk so much cheaper that here

  4. #654
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    366

    Re: What bourbon are you drinking in Australia? - Summer 2013

    Having a few Scotches tonight (JW Black - my daily, CR 18 and GF 18).

  5. #655
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    366

    Re: What bourbon are you drinking in Australia? - Summer 2013

    Went to Ardbeg day last week at Barras in Hawthorn. Really enjoyed the Evan Williams 23 year old - had two glasses.

  6. #656
    Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Brisbane Australia
    Posts
    2,921

    Re: What bourbon are you drinking in Australia? - Summer 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Sydney BJW View Post
    I know what you mean, the bottle does get better the longer it is open, a few bourbons do in my experience. My father in law usually drinks it when I open the bottle and than I hide it for a couple of months.

    I really miss Buffalo Trace a 45% although the 40% is still far superior than the 37% Jim Beam White.
    Ironically, in the US, BT competes with Jim Beam and Jack Daniels. It was one of the dilemmas they had in the early days of planning the release into Australia - they'd never be able to get the price down to a level where they could challenge those product on our market.

  7. #657
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    572

    Re: What bourbon are you drinking in Australia? - Summer 2013

    They'll get there if they keep adding water Cam
    Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns
    They should sell Pappy by the gallon, everyone buys the whole shelf anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by WAINWRIGHT
    I'm wearing a kilt right now...
    I feel like the fat Britney
    P_Elliots word of the day: odacity, coaqulate, preflent

  8. #658
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    49

    Re: What bourbon are you drinking in Australia? - Summer 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by camduncan View Post
    Ironically, in the US, BT competes with Jim Beam and Jack Daniels. It was one of the dilemmas they had in the early days of planning the release into Australia - they'd never be able to get the price down to a level where they could challenge those product on our market.
    I bought a few bottles of standard issue BT back when it was bottled at 90 proof from an independently owned liquor store near me for $39.95 when it first came out a few years back. IMO that price definitely was competitive with JD and WT86.8 (more expensive than Beam white label but that's 74 proof here so it should be cheaper). Now BT is 80 proof and $50 a bottle, which isn't competitive price-wise.

    I think the issue is that BT/Sazerac or their Australian distributor are a little greedy; they obviously have no shame when it comes to blatant gouging as the prices of the BTAC releases in Australia proves. Standard BT isn't insanely overpriced but still ... for an extra $5 one can pick up WT101, and for $10 less there is WT86.8. Both are higher proof and for all the grief Campari seem to get about what they've done to WT, I think the quality is just fine and they treat Aussie customers pretty well with reasonable, consistent prices and good availability.

  9. #659
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    366

    Re: What bourbon are you drinking in Australia? - Summer 2013

    Funnily enough at $49.95 it's up against EW Black at 80 proof. Wonder how that's moving for the distributor - bet it's not.

    I don't mind BT at $50 though admit I only have 90 proof bottles at home. The 80 proof has tasted ok at the bar.

    Truth be known, I'm likely to pull out another $15 and buy a Blanton's Original.

  10. #660
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    141

    Re: What bourbon are you drinking in Australia? - Summer 2013

    I think BT is reasonably priced. I love Blantons also but I think Id rather BT. It cant compete with JBW for price but I recon it should want to.
    Prefer BT to EWB also, even at 80 proof!

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. What bourbon are you drinking in Australia? - Winter 2013
    By Stones in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 153
    Last Post: 10-24-2013, 02:27
  2. What Rye Are You Drinking? Summer 2013
    By darylld911 in forum American Rye Whiskey
    Replies: 360
    Last Post: 09-24-2013, 22:14
  3. What bourbon are you drinking? Summer 2013
    By Special Reserve in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 2208
    Last Post: 09-23-2013, 11:42
  4. What bourbon are you drinking in Australia? - Summer 2011
    By Stones in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 182
    Last Post: 11-24-2012, 02:22

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top