Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 7 of 68 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: What bourbon are you drinking in Australia? - Summer 2013

Quote Originally Posted by camduncan View Post
    KC is one of my favourite pours from Beam - OGD and Bookers being the other two favourites. I always grab at least one bottle per trip to the US, and this holiday (12 sleeps and counting ) will be no different. Would I drop $95 on it, yeah, probably... but I'd limit myself to 1 or 2 bottles a year at that price. It's definitely a steep price to ask if you've never tried it though. Maybe see if you can find a bar or club selling it by the pour first to see if you think it's worth it.
    If you need help filling your duty free allowance you only have to ask, dont be shy now!

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

Thanks.... but I think I can handle it In fact, my wife has kindly offered up her Duty Free allowance as well, so it's 6 bottles of something for me

Enthusiast

Nice one! If you dont mind posting your purchases when you get back it would be appreciated, the excitement of a hunt is strong enough that I dont need to benefit from it to enjoy it.
    Is it worrying that when choosing OS destinations one of the first things I think of is duty free potential? Well that and fishing, if there is neither of those available its going to be a hard sell.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by onemorepour View Post
    Grabbed a bottle of the old virginia 12yr and umm yeh not sure about it at this stage, slightly funky brandy like nose and very short finish, very meh.
    Would love to know who makes this stuff though

Oh yeh and was drinking some ilegal resposado mezcal last night which was pretty damn enjoyable
    I had some reservations on the Virginia 12yo and nearly pulled the trigger on a bottle as I was curious but bought a High West double rye instead, glad I did given your comment on the V12yo.

It is no secret that I love that elixir of the gods, bourbon.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by onemorepour View Post
    Nice one! If you dont mind posting your purchases when you get back it would be appreciated, the excitement of a hunt is strong enough that I dont need to benefit from it to enjoy it.
    Is it worrying that when choosing OS destinations one of the first things I think of is duty free potential? Well that and fishing, if there is neither of those available its going to be a hard sell.
    Its not worrying at all. I am going Japan in March with the girl and I have already investigated duty free, plus read all the threads on here about bottle shops and bars in Japan that stock good bottles. It was actually the first thing I did...even before looking for accommodation.

I rarely buy Duty Free now.... unless I am going to a destination country that doesn't have mush bourbon selection. In the US or Japan, I much prefer to buy up to my duty free limit from a good store, and carry it back in my suitcase.

Advanced Taster

Any recommendations on a good store in Japan Cam?

Unfortunately not. Last time I was in Japan was 2004, so it's been a fair while.... and the memory is pretty faded. It'd be worth putting a post up on the site to ask other members though as I know some live there or have recently visited.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Same mash bill, yes, but different profiles. Basil is not just watered down Grand Dad but is a lighter, dryer, less rich style. When it first came out we tried a bottle and my impression was this product has been designed as a crossover for Scotch drinkers.

The 8 year age stated Basil is a bit older than the standard Grand Dad BIB but close to the same for Grand Dad 114. Basil is a good dram that works well in cocktails, probably due to it's higher rye content. I believe sales would be higher if the price was lower but that's Beam for 'ya.

Comparing the two Grand Dad is a rich, powerful (especially the 114 but the BIB's no slouch) full flavored almost quaintly old fashioned style of high rye Bourbon. Basil is the polite city cousin with a diffident personality.
    Thanks Squire, I guess I'll have to try the OGD if it ever hits our shores. I really wanted to give it a go due to the overwhelming good reports by your good self and others, but BH just didn't work for me. Thanks for clearing it up. I needed to know that I can enjoy OGD and not like BH, hopefully I can!

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Vietish View Post
    Any recommendations on a good store in Japan Cam?
    Try worldwidewhiskies.com I think they are out of Japan, maybe able to pickup once ordered, might be a little pricey, but they have stuff you just cant get here. I also recommend Duty Free in Japan airports as they have the WT 8yr, 12yr, and 13yr for starters, and If your going through Singapore DF, Jack Has the old 27 gold label, aged once in Oak, and again in Maple barrels. Apparently a very enjoyable whiskey!