Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Smooth Ambler Contradiction

http://smoothambler.com/spirits/contradiction/

Looks like Smooth Ambler is going to put out a blended bourbon/rye of their own.

Enthusiast

Re: Smooth Ambler Contradiction

Even more interesting, it's a blend of their own distillate with sourced.
    Andrew

Guru

And at 100 proof, hope the price is forgiving.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Apprentice

I really enjoy the blend of bernheim and wtrb, so this sounds like it will be right up my alley.

Connoisseur

This appears to be a blend of 2 bourbons per the link. A wheated mash bill and a rye mash bill, both straight bourbons. This would still be a bourbon would it not? Basically this is similar to the Parker's Heritage Blend of 2 mashbills.

Taster

They posted more specific information on Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/SmoothAmbler

"Contradiction is a blend of straight bourbon whiskey. 27% is a 2 year-old wheated bourbon we make here in West Virginia, and 73% is the 9 year-old bourbon we bottle as Smooth Ambler Old Scout. Marrying the two has some interesting effects: the wheater evens-out the spice inherent in the high-rye mashbill of Old Scout, and the older whiskey pulls the younger, kicking and screaming, into the realm of a drinkability more refined and complex than it could be on its own. Additionally, the flavor profile achieves the result of a four-grain bourbon: corn, wheat, rye, and barley."
    Mike
    "I want a whiskey whiskey whiskey when I'm thirsty, I want a water water water when I'm dry"

Guru

Like taking a page out of the Scotch blenders handbook. Looks promising.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Virtuoso

I've had the opportunity to try some of this, and it's a nice bourbon. All the pieces are laid bare on the palate, but they agree with one another, and with me. Young and spirity and immediate, but bolstered by the wood influence and bold rye spice of the Old Scout whiskey. Price should be where you expect SA price to be I think, somewhere in the $40s, but that's just a guess.

Virtuoso

Josh, thanks for the intel. Knew we could count on you Anything like the Parker's Blend of Mashbills, or is the wheated component too young for that comparison?
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    I've had the opportunity to try some of this, and it's a nice bourbon. All the pieces are laid bare on the palate, but they agree with one another, and with me. Young and spirity and immediate, but bolstered by the wood influence and bold rye spice of the Old Scout whiskey. Price should be where you expect SA price to be I think, somewhere in the $40s, but that's just a guess.

To to be fair, Josh, that's the basic price for everyone else. We'll charge you a helluva lot more. :-)