Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: Westland Distillery - American Single Malts

Four year old single malt that tastes like breakfast cereal, oddly, that sounds interesting.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Virtuoso

Might go with that VOB BiB in the morning java ...
    Mark

Guru

I'm thinking oatmeal.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    Other interesting tidbits (again, not confirmed):

- Westland is already the largest distillery in the state of Washington
    - They are on the verge of being not able to call themselves a "craft" or "micro" distiller as they almost have too many barrels aging already
    There is no federal legal definition of craft or micro, but WA State does have it's own definition - 60,000 gal/year

http://lcb.wa.gov/enforcement/distillery-faq

Guru

Westland Distillery - American Single Malts

Quote Originally Posted by wadewood View Post
    There is no federal legal definition of craft or micro, but WA State does have it's own definition - 60,000 gal/year

http://lcb.wa.gov/enforcement/distillery-faq
    Thx Wade. It was some limit along those lines... (I must've misheard) Still, that they've quietly built a distillery of that scale is kind of weird.

I will seek clarification when I go visit in person.
    Last edited by ChainWhip; 11-11-2013 at 18:12.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Guru

Well, I didn't get a chance to ask the question about Micro's but I did get to go visit today and brought home a bottle.

Will write up a little something later with more details - short version is I'm optimistic these guys are and will do things right in comparision to other Micro's. The ~3 year old whisky we tasted showed promise.

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Guru

Great pics CW, thanks. Hopefully some of this will make its way east & south.

Guru

So few things from my notes...

Barley:

• Non-Peated Source: Skagit Valley, malted in Vancouver, WA
    • 2 strains of barley used (2-Row & 5/6-Row I believe he called it)
    • 5-Malt was a combination of 2-Row & 5/6-Row barley in 5 different malting levels
    • Peated malt is imported from Port Ellen Maltings in Islay
    • Plans in the works to produce custom peated malt from Pacific Northwest peat source near Shelton, WA

Barrels:

• Aged in Hoquiam, WA (close to Kurt Cobain's birthplace)
    • 3 types of barrels used:
      • American White Oak: Heavy Toast/Light Char, air aged for at least 24 months
      • Ex-Bourbon Casks: Sourced from Buffalo Trace or Wild Turkey (because supposedly their barrels are also air aged > 18 months instead of kiln-dried)
      • Various Ex-Sherry Casks: Fino, Oloroso, PX

• ~70-80% barrels are new White Oak Barrels (filled typically with 5-malt distillate)
    • ~10-10% of barrels are Ex-Bourbon casks (mostly filled with 2-Row malt distillate)
    • ~10% of barrels are ex-Sherry casks

Misc.

• Modified Belgian Saison Beer yeast use (can withstand higher ABV in fermentation tanks)
    • Double distillation
    • Target age of whisky aging in new oak barrels will is ~5-6yrs, ex-bourbon & ex-sherry will likely age longer

~80-90% of the aged stock is non-Peated single malt whisky and ~10-20% is peated whisky.
    Last edited by ChainWhip; 12-28-2013 at 23:12.

Guru

One of the co-founders (Emerson Lamb) was our tour guide and it was apparent his passion for his craft and for his family. His family has been in the Pacific Northwest for over 5-6 generations (~150 years) and they have been in the Timber industry for a long time - from this background, the patience in waiting for crop to mature translates into their approach in making whisky. The first expression out of Westland is called the Deacon Seat (matured over 3 years) and this harks back to his family's settler/logging roots. When surveying a stand of trees for logging, one typically would find a large tree near a clearing and fell that tree - this tree was then split length wise and was used as the centerpiece of life in a logging settlement. This was your bed, your table, your home, etc., and the camp bunkhouse was built around this "Deacon's Seat".

I liked the Deacon's Seat but given my recent streak of drinking barrel-proof/cask-strength whiskies, it did seem like a little more oomph would've been nice. There's a house-style that's got some good fruit elements to complement the malty nutiness in the distillate... I'm looking forward to seeing some older expressions from them for sure. There are at least two new whiskies coming out from Westland (one is a Peated Single Malt and other is a limited single-cask/cask-strength bottling that is a smorgasbord of peated and unpeated whisky aging in cask #29).

I have to say that I came away impressed with the way they're going about doing things and optimistic of their chances given their deep funding source. The co-founders spent some time touring the world and visiting over 100 distilleries. They even spent a good chunk of time at Bruichladdich learning and working at the distillery on Islay under the tutelage of Jim McEwan & crew.
    Last edited by ChainWhip; 12-28-2013 at 23:13.

Virtuoso

Thanks for that write-up - their barrel selection and aging regimen would seem like it would produce a nice comparison to a SMS.
    Mark