Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Guru

Re: Westland Distillery - American Single Malts

I'm partial to peat and peat+sherry is a combination I really dig... but it's a toss-up honestly between #279 (peat+PX) & #283 for me right after opening - they're both really good. I was also fortunate enough to get one of the SCN Westlands (also peat+Oloroso):

The #279 is opening up very very nicely to the point where it has surpassed the #283 (they were about even right at opening for me). The SCN Westland is BBQ & browned butter upon opening - I expect it will get better as it opens up...

#29 is delicious as well but while it has less peat than #279/#283, it's still got enough peat to make it interesting.

I've tried the others at the distillery but haven't opened my own bottles yet.
    Last edited by ChainWhip; 11-14-2014 at 16:10.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Taster

was able to finally score a bottle of the American Single Malt last week at Cask here. Very nice and smooth, it has a touch of sweetness but was not overwhelming. Although i prefer the peatier side, this is simply a very good whiskey imho.
    George

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mopgcw View Post
    was able to finally score a bottle of the American Single Malt last week at Cask here. Very nice and smooth, it has a touch of sweetness but was not overwhelming. Although i prefer the peatier side, this is simply a very good whiskey imho.
    Have the regular malt locally and supposed to get the regular peated, which I have had before, and sherry offering, which I don't think I have had, soon. Looking forward to them both despite the fact that they are rather spendy. And doubt that either will be able to match the Cask 29 single barrel I got a while back thanks to the efforts of a couple of SBers. Look forward to more mature future efforts and availability from them if they can keep the price out of the stratosphere.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Enthusiast

I love this whisky. They are great guys over there too

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Have the regular malt locally and supposed to get the regular peated, which I have had before, and sherry offering, which I don't think I have had, soon. Looking forward to them both despite the fact that they are rather spendy. And doubt that either will be able to match the Cask 29 single barrel I got a while back thanks to the efforts of a couple of SBers. Look forward to more mature future efforts and availability from them if they can keep the price out of the stratosphere.
    agreed, i found a lonely bottle of regular malt at bevmo here so was able to put that one away in the back, and keeping my eye on their future efforts as well. a great first impression for sure.
    George

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    And you've seen that where?
    Richard
    GBS Member rounding out the top 5
    Are you a Whisk(e)y Apostle?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BigRich View Post
    And you've seen that where?
    The regular Westie should be in most good sized stores. DeKalb Bottle House had it when I was last there.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum