Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Enthusiast

Re: Westland Distillery - American Single Malts

Quote Originally Posted by ToEOrNotToE View Post
    Their three main offerings are the very first products that have me interested in plain American whiskey (considered neither a bourbon nor a rye). I'd love to get my hands on all of them!

While there exists corn whiskey and wheat whiskey, these almost deserve to be called barley whiskey (since they're made in the USA). American Scotch, anyone? Can the term "whisk(e)y" finally be used to talk about one particular commodity?
    "Malt whisky" is defined as a class type by the TTB, made to the same specifications as bourbon or rye, but containing 51% or more malted barley in the mash. However this class type excludes a lot of American single malts, such as Westland or Balcones, since new barrels are not always employed.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ToEOrNotToE View Post
    Can the term "whisk(e)y" finally be used to talk about one particular commodity?
    Do you mean that we somehow now put the (e) on everything in some sort of official manner?
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Enthusiast

I finally got my hands on a bottle - to my dismay of paying the current asking price. Man, this stuff is as delicious as I remembered. I wish it had just a bit more age on it but for the most part, the new oak takes care of the malt-forwardness in the respect. One of my favorite parts of this whiskey though is the taste. It is a really great, roasted chocolate finish. Almost like a porter or stout sans any hop profile. Not sure if they are really worth the asking price as a daily drinker but so, so interesting. PA will be getting a Single Barrel of Westland that will be a CS version of the American Oak offering and I am excited to see how that pans out. I really want to try the peated and the sherry now!