Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: Westland Distillery - American Single Malts

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    Just tasting the unpeated single malt and I'm very impressed. The nose is sweet and fruity with a dense, cake-y weight to it. The palate is complex with a jammy sweetness that turns nutty and a roasted nuttiness comes on on the finish. The finish also betrays the young age with some sharper notes, but otherwise this is rich with flavor and character. Singular and quite tasty.
    Pretty much agree. Working on my single malt, too.

Was a little disappointed at first as I was hoping for a little more to "chew" on, but it's nice for what it is. It's like lightly toasted banana bread with maybe some bits of pineapple or green apple and then a bit of dry coffee at the end.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    Just tasting the unpeated single malt and I'm very impressed. The nose is sweet and fruity with a dense, cake-y weight to it. The palate is complex with a jammy sweetness that turns nutty and a roasted nuttiness comes on on the finish. The finish also betrays the young age with some sharper notes, but otherwise this is rich with flavor and character. Singular and quite tasty.
    Wait until you try these babies:

Which reminds me, I need to send a few samples your way
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Enthusiast

I just tasted the regular American Single Malt at a festival and I was floored. Stuff was great! Definitely going to buy a bottle.

Advanced Taster

I've been hearing wonderful things about these guys from experienced malt whisky drinkers.

Advanced Taster

I'm a huge fan of these guys. I did a tasting back in September with Single Cask Nation and one of the whiskies was their Peated Sherry Cask 2 year old malt. It was so good I bought a bottle as soon as it went on sale. At a recent charity tasting I did it was one of the favorite malts - competing with Springbank 15, HP 15, 23 Year Old Caol Ila, and Amrut Intermediate Sherry. It may be young but it's darn good whisky. I'll be in Seattle in January and plan on visiting the Distillery.

Guru

I agree with the general assessment that Westland is one "craft" distillery to keep an eye on. Thanks to the kind assistance of some fellow SBers from the Pacific NW I got a chance to get a bottle of their recent Cask 29 single barrel release. It was a delightful whiskey! Emerson Lamb was at the Westland table at the Atlanta WoW and he agreed that #29 was a good one indeed! But I was also impressed with the regular and peated Westland and look forward to their arrival in Georgia. They may well have been "Best in Show" in my book. They were certainly the best "craft" distillery there.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

I may be a provincial homer, but I love their whiskies

¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Enthusiast

Wow ChainWhip! Impressive! Out of the ones you opened, how do you like them?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    I may be a provincial homer, but I love their whiskies

If you are going to be a provincial homer then you certainly picked a good one!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by zillah View Post
    Wow ChainWhip! Impressive! Out of the ones you opened, how do you like them?
    Indeed! I am particularly curious about the Peat Week sherry influenced 279 and very lightly colored 283. Would like to see how well they do with sherry finishing.