Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Overholt

Disciple

Old Overholt

With the continued growth of rye popularity why doesn't JB restore the original higher proof OH along with the quality?
    Last edited by fishnbowljoe; 10-28-2013 at 17:01.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: Old Overholt

Well, we've discussed partly this question in the other thread I believe in that since Beam only makes one rye recipe, and KC rye is 100 proof, surely that is a bonded Overholt or something very much like it. True, it doesn't state straight rye on the KC, but I'd have to assume it is at least 4 years old. For those who like the Beam rye profile, I do believe this is the one to buy.

Gary

Guru

My take on it is Beam doesn't want Overholt to compete with it's more profitable brands.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Virtuoso

Not to mention, I think they dropped it down to 3 years old to keep more rye in the pipeline for the Yellow Label and the Knob Rye.

The Knob Rye is fine, (although not my favorite) but the pricing is ridiculous. It's about twice the Yellow Label but nowhere near twice as good.

I'm normally a big fan of Beam products (a seeming minority around here) but the Knob Creek rye was a disappointment to me. And while I want to like Overholt, I don't. It was too thin, hot, and bland (I know, right?) at 4 years old, I don't think less time in the barrel is going to help it. The yellow label seems to be a little better, but variable. I buy it from time to time.
    Last edited by Brisko; 10-29-2013 at 07:34.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Disciple

That's pretty much my tasting on Beam ryes and I'm told by old-time rye drinkers that OO is nothing like it used to be. I would have to assume that they just completely dropped the old mash bill and are just using the brand. If it sells fine, if it doesn't ok too.

JB is really expanding their product line but they obviously don't think rye is the way to go.

Connoisseur

This is more or less the same story for Old Crow, and the Beam version of Old Taylor.

Guru

I think Beam acquired Taylor and Crow in part to stop the competition with their Beam White brand.
    Last edited by squire; 10-29-2013 at 15:18.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

My limited experience is that 4yo OO has a lot in common with OGD86 and Beam YL Rye is thin and bland.

Connoisseur

OO is not nearly even a shadow of its former self. I have some of the last made in PA. Lovely lavender notes, leather, linseed oil, fine stuff. Oddly enough though, the closest thing to it is rittenhouse made at dsp one.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Considering how many other outlets Beam has for its rye, most at a much more profitable price point, their attitude about OO is to leave it alone, not spend any money on it, and let the people who buy it keep buying it without burdening them with change. There's no good business reason for them to 'do anything' with OO.