Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Old Scout 8 yr Barrel Proof Rye

Picked up a bottle of this from Eric at Packages & More Liquors today. He just got it in yesterday, I think. Curious as to how it tasted, we went ahead and had a small sample at the store just to see. Initial impression is that it has a terrific nose, little burn for 120 proof, and a nice long finish. Yes, I know this is "sourced" whiskey but nonetheless a very favorable first impression. Anyone else tried this? If so, what did you think?

Connoisseur

Re: Old Scout 8 yr Barrel Proof Rye

Interested to know the pricing on this? Is this something special to Eric's store, or is it something that will be a little more wide spread?

Enthusiast

Not a special release. Pricing was 49.99, but Old Scout's distributor for Ky. has an odd pricing schedule, as all the Old Scout products Eric carries are the same price, 49.99. This includes the rye, the 10 yr old bourbon, the 5-7 yr old bourbon, and the barrel proof bourbon. Neither Eric nor I could figure that out.

Guru

I think it was a 7 yr rye that Dan picked up and we sampled in WV. Was quite tasty. Definitely puts you in mind of the other LDI ryes, but for just a few bucks more I would lean towards the OS.

Damn tasty rye. Not many barrel proofers at that age out there.

I recommend to any rye fan. I purchased a bottle for my personal collection too.

Advanced Taster

I've been sipping from an OS 7yr 99proof; haven't seen an 8yrBP to try but will buy it when I do. I like the 7yr a lot (yes, I tend to ryes over wheats but drink both).

Smooth Ambler's website has lots of good info about OS in its various forms & includes a search function that lists, by state, restaurants/bars as well as stores that sell SA's OS and other products.

And I have no connection to Smooth Ambler Spirits - I just like their OS 7yr.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Kyjd75 View Post
    Picked up a bottle of this from Eric at Packages & More Liquors today. He just got it in yesterday, I think. Curious as to how it tasted, we went ahead and had a small sample at the store just to see. Initial impression is that it has a terrific nose, little burn for 120 proof, and a nice long finish. Yes, I know this is "sourced" whiskey but nonetheless a very favorable first impression. Anyone else tried this? If so, what did you think?
    I first had Smooth Ambler Old Scout Rye 7 year at the April WhiskyFest in Chicago and then visited their WV distillery in June (and brought home a bottle). It is a great rye pour. (I haven't had the opportunity to try the 8 year old. It is not listed on the Smooth Ambler web site.) The folks at the distillery were very upfront with the whisky being KY sourced (without revealing the specific source.)

The distillery is a few years (perhaps 4 years) old. At first, all their whiskies were sourced. They indicated that they have plenty of rye on hand for several years, and are not planning to do any rye whisky distilling.

Their young bourbon (I believe its now called Yearling) was originally sourced, but I think that they are now producing and selling their own.

They had a 10 year old bourbon when I was at the distillery, which is a fantastic bourbon. It is also sourced, but they were very secretive as to identifying the source. On their web site, they only list 6 year and 7 year old bourbons (obviously sourced). The 10 year is not listed. Not sure why or if the 10 year is sold out.

Shell
    Last edited by Shell; 02-03-2014 at 19:47.

Disciple

so, correct me if i'm wrong, but from reading their 'about me' page link from their home page.....

the bottles named "Old Scout" are sourced, and the "Smooth Ambler" bottles are their own product.

Id like to know a bit more next time I see some on the shelf.

Guru

Here is everything you need to know thanks to Yeti: http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...l=1#post400126
    Insert TheNovaMan's signature here (___________)

Novice

I picked up a bottle of this at Astor Wines in NYC just a couple of weeks ago. Apparently, it's their own barrel selection specifically for the store.

Priced at $65...a little tough to swallow, but you really aren't going to find a BP rye of this age for that kind of cash right now.

After having several pours, I'm decidedly happy that I purchased it and may even have to grab another.

6E61C1D8-2900-429A-89F6-4F8A6197B7C8_zpslyky5afa.jpg