Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Taster

Willett XCF 103.4 Proof

Has anyone had this yet? I'm very curious and considering overpaying for a bottle. I think retail is $155.

Guru

Re: Willett XCF 103.4 Proof

Quote Originally Posted by The Good Sir View Post
    Has anyone had this yet? I'm very curious and considering overpaying for a bottle. I think retail is $155.
    I really wanted to try this but at such an excessive (IMNSHO) price I am having to reconsider (not so much because I can't afford another overpriced bottle, lord knows I have plenty of them! Just getting to the point where I don't want to support this price inflation anymore). I think it is 7yo MGP rye which Smooth Ambler has been selling for around $40 for excellent quality barrel proof bottles. The Grand Marnier connection is interesting but even if it spent years in those barrels it just can't be worth another $100.

Damned annoying.
    Last edited by tanstaafl2; 11-02-2014 at 15:30.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

I'll pass. I know I can buy way better bourbon for way less.

Connoisseur

Don't forget the tube, you get a tube, so that's worth at least 50 bucks.

It's Willett so you know it will be popular even at $150. I'd like to try it, but lump me in the "it's way overpriced category."

Advanced Taster

It's a bit spendy. I think just adding a couple drops of Grand Marnier to a Smooth Ambler Old Scout Barrel Proof bottling pretty much does the trick

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by soonami View Post
    It's a bit spendy. I think just adding a couple drops of Grand Marnier to a Smooth Ambler Old Scout Barrel Proof bottling pretty much does the trick
    I was thinking along these lines the other night. Just take one of my favorite pours and put a tiny bit of Grand Manier in there and I would probably have something even better.

Best regards, Tony
    1. If something bad happens, drink in an attempt to forget.
    2. If something good happens, drink in order to celebrate.
    3. And if nothing happens, drink, to make something happen.
    Charles Bukowski

Advanced Taster

I tracked down two bottles (paid over retail, but what the hell) and look forward to trying this. I never regret buying a bottle, but if I bought two that turn out bad, that would suck.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ThirstyinOhio View Post
    I tracked down two bottles (paid over retail, but what the hell) and look forward to trying this. I never regret buying a bottle, but if I bought two that turn out bad, that would suck.
    Do let us know if this is as spectacular as the price demands that it be! I beginning to warm to the idea of a perfectly delightful SA selection with a bit of Grand Marnier added...
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Do let us know if this is as spectacular as the price demands that it be! I beginning to warm to the idea of a perfectly delightful SA selection with a bit of Grand Marnier added...
    Yeah, I saw that coming.
    Richard
    GBS Member rounding out the top 5
    Are you a Whisk(e)y Apostle?

Connoisseur

I like what I'm reading around the forums lately. A lot of heavy hitting spenders, formerly willing to buy $100+ bottles, getting tired of it and deciding to finally take action about no longer supporting this trend.

I'm still a beginner at buying finer bourbons, but I'm a fast learner, already have a satisfying bunker, and I have already crossed most of the $100+ bottles off of my shopping list, for the same reasons.

I don't hate on Willett at all - I respect Drew's abilities, and obviously they should sell their products for what they can get for them. The boom will end, and prices will fall back down again, and when that happens I'll again be their enthusiastic customer.

Until then, they won't miss my purchases and they'll sell everything they make, and I wish them success!