Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: Whistle Pig Boss-Hog

It is strange that some companies (many more than just WP) want the origins of the products to be a fairy tale marketing game. Are they afraid consumers wouldn't buy their products if the knew it was purchased? The number one selling whisky in the world, Johnnie Walker, has nothing to hide about purchasing and blending their products. These companies don't understand that people that have a passion for finer sipping whisky, are also people who enjoy educating themselves on the origins.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by WhiskyToWhiskey View Post
    Are they afraid consumers wouldn't buy their products if the knew it was purchased?
    They're afraid people wouldn't pay as much. Yeah, they're aware of the John Walker model but they're not interested in doing it right for the long term they're interested in turning a fast buck and cashing out.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Advanced Taster

So I met Dave Pickerell and in front of 20-25 people he sort of answered my question re: where the whisky was from - he admitted that it began life north of the border - i.e. It's Canadian whisky. I also had a 15-20 minute conversation with him afterwards and he seemed like a good guy and someone with whom I'd like to share a few drams and listen to some stories.

As to the Boss Hog, it was a tasty rye but I'll defer any serious tasting notes as standing around sipping a 1/4 oz out of a plastic ramekin doesn't lend itself to nuance. I will say that it didn't feel or taste as hot as the ABV of 67.25% would suggest. Surprisingly smooth with a good mouthfeel. Have to say I don't love the price and it didn't wow me enough right away to say it is worth $150. But as readily available aged Rye stocks seem to be disappearing (for now) maybe that's the going price now for premium ryes. All I know is that suddenly absinthe, chartruese and cognacs are starting to look tastier than ever, and a whole lot cheaper.

Guru

He may well be a nice chap, a boon companion, kind to children and dogs as well, yet I heard him intentionally mislead the audience (lie) by claiming Whistlepig was made from locally grown Vermont rye grain and personally monitored by him for it's ten year duration in the barrel.

Using scarcity to justify high prices is a bugaboo as well because there is enough 10 year old Rye whisky from Canadian sources alone to support at least four other brands I can think of offhand.

In short, Whistlepig is an excessively overpriced marketing concept of the colossally arrogant Mr. Bhakta who dismissively calls lunatic the neighbors who have the temerity to disagree with his grandiose plans.

Enthusiast

Here is Dave Pickerell on a radio show talking about the Boss Hog https://soundcloud.com/radiobdc/whistlepig-rye those barrels were found to be extraordinary in their Vermont warehouse...lol
    Thank you for the link.
    I posted it on twitter last night and it has been picked up by the premier "expert" on Canadian whisky - Davin de Kergommeaux.

Advanced Taster

@squire don't hold back, tell us you really feel

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by portwood View Post
    Thank you for the link.
    I posted it on twitter last night and it has been picked up by the premier "expert" on Canadian whisky - Davin de Kergommeaux.
    I "liked" WhistlePig on facebook. They post crap like this all the time...keeps me amused. Sometimes I comment on how WhistlePig is one of the greatest ryes to come from Canada...Muhahahaha. They probably don't appreciate it.

Trippah and Admin

I "liked" WhistlePig on facebook. They post crap like this all the time...keeps me amused. Sometimes I comment on how WhistlePig is one of the greatest ryes to come from Canada...Muhahahaha. They probably don't appreciate it.
    Their twitter feed also does nothing to dispel the Vermont myth.

There are a number of folks who point out the issue when necessary.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Virtuoso

But they grow rye on a farm ... in Vermont ... that might one day make it into whiskey ... so ... that's pretty close by today's standards.
    Mark

Guru

I don't expect my baker to grow his own wheat I expect him to make good bread.