Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: Whistle Pig Boss-Hog

Quote Originally Posted by WhiskyRI View Post
    I've said it elsewhere and I'll say it again I think all these ultra-premium prices are part of an experiment by makers to see just how much they can charge before customers balk. I tasted the Boss Hog and liked it (not sure which barrel it was) but not nearly enough to pay $149. I have to think the Canadian makers are finally going wake up and see the $ potential in Rye and start selling it themselves. My other fear is that as these ultra-premium prices become the norm people will be immunized to price creep at the mid-tier level.
    I think you are right for the present & future in terms of Rye production & prices. Alberta is not stupid but they may outsmart themselves just the same. Your "other fear" is my greatest fear because the mid-tier level is where the vast majority of us have to operate. If it does impact that segment adversely, we'll just be hunting downward on the shelves...at least that's where I'll find myself. I keep saying I'm going to stock up on Ritt BIB - and then my 'pre-existing' bills....lol...drain the ever-dwindling resources each month. We've seen Ritt go from the teens to mid & upper 20s at a fairly steady pace. Now that HH has it firmly in their grasp, how long before we realistically see $35-40? I think I'll just convert back to water when & if that happens.
    Last edited by Old Lamplighter; 12-08-2013 at 11:38.
    "I think I'll just stay here and drink"
    .....Merle Haggard

Guru

They may discover it's hard to get customers to pay $35.00 a second time.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Guru

An interesting comment in Clay's blog, Mash Notes, about WP.

http://clayrisen.com/sampled-whistlepig-boss-hog-rye/

"Whistle Pig was originally sourced exclusively from Canada, but it now comes from a variety of distilleries in both Canada and the United States."

Is this new information? My understanding was that all WP was coming from Canada but perhaps this has changed as sourced whiskey gets tighter.

Doesn't seem likely we can depend on anybody from WP confirming or denying it of course.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

Hog wash. How many U. S. Distillers were making a 100% rye mash for bulk sale ten years ago? How many are today?

Barton is the only one I know of who did but that was awhile back and any remaining stock belongs to Sazerac.

Virtuoso

They changed the recipe and the country recently (MGPI) haven't heard if it hitting the shelves yet
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden

Guru

What, they're no longer using "the best Rye in the World"?

Advanced Taster

It only acquires that label after it's in the bottle. It's just another whiskey up to that point.

Guru

That was the reason Dave Pickerel gave for sourcing the whisky from Canada, that he had found "the best Rye in the World" and only the best was good enough for WP.

Of course MGP arguably produces the best 95% rye.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    That was the reason Dave Pickerel gave for sourcing the whisky from Canada, that he had found "the best Rye in the World" and only the best was good enough for WP.

Of course MGP arguably produces the best 95% rye.
    They also arguably produce the worst! One of the problems of being a category of one...
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

Oh don't rain on my parade man, the clouds have passed, the Sun is shining and I'm in a glass half full sort of mood.