Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Whistle Pig Boss-Hog

Then drain the whiskey from that glass and fill it back up man.
    Peggy: Look Al, the rubes think I'm sexy!
    Al: So would I if I had whiskey for breakfast.

Guru

I've never been one to turn down good advice.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Taster

Great stuff. No heat, no burn @ barrel proof. Tasted some with the owner. These are his barrels.

Connoisseur

I had a giant pour last night at a place called Golden Brown Delicious (it's a fried chicken/donut/whiskey/craft beer thing, and it's just awesome). At first, I got deep butterscotch notes, followed by the familiar Whistlepig/Jefferson's 100% rye funk, along with a strong note of hairspray. I liked it a lot and I'm very happy I tasted it.

However, there's no way I'm paying $150+ for a bottle. I'm one of those "there's a new bottle on the shelf and I need to know what it tastes like and I can't sleep and aaaaaaaargggh" kind of guys. Well, if you're like me, don't worry about this one, because very little is added by the cask strength and single barrel aspects. It's just the same notes as regular Whistlepig, with perhaps less wood and more butterscotch.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bad_scientist View Post
    I had a giant pour last night at a place called Golden Brown Delicious (it's a fried chicken/donut/whiskey/craft beer thing, and it's just awesome). At first, I got deep butterscotch notes, followed by the familiar Whistlepig/Jefferson's 100% rye funk, along with a strong note of hairspray. I liked it a lot and I'm very happy I tasted it.

However, there's no way I'm paying $150+ for a bottle. I'm one of those "there's a new bottle on the shelf and I need to know what it tastes like and I can't sleep and aaaaaaaargggh" kind of guys. Well, if you're like me, don't worry about this one, because very little is added by the cask strength and single barrel aspects. It's just the same notes as regular Whistlepig, with perhaps less wood and more butterscotch.
    I agree that it is hard to justify the cost for Cask strength and 2-3 more years but I found it to be head, shoulders and sternum as well above the regular stuff. The butterscotch/sweet note alone is more pronounced and it also has tons more mouthfeel and depth. A touch of water (and you get to choose how much, unlike the standard piggy) only serves to open it up further. Closer to $100-110 and this might be a semi regular pour for me. It is what I hoped the LSB would be but didn't quite live up to.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    I agree that it is hard to justify the cost for Cask strength and 2-3 more years but I found it to be head, shoulders and sternum as well above the regular stuff. The butterscotch/sweet note alone is more pronounced and it also has tons more mouthfeel and depth. A touch of water (and you get to choose how much, unlike the standard piggy) only serves to open it up further. Closer to $100-110 and this might be a semi regular pour for me. It is what I hoped the LSB would be but didn't quite live up to.
    Spot on about the mouthfeel. As soon as I pressed "post", I realized that I had left that out. I didn't add water - what a shame!

I guess my main point is that, if you want essentially a perfect version of Whistlepig, this is your guy, but it's not (to me, anyway) a fundamentally different taste experience.

Taster

Anyone heard or tried the new(?) 13 year old release of Boss Hog or seen a price? My guy just got a couple in and guessing at the price I'm hesitating.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by GerryM View Post
    Anyone heard or tried the new(?) 13 year old release of Boss Hog or seen a price? My guy just got a couple in and guessing at the price I'm hesitating.
    Shouldn't you just ask your guy what his price is?
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by GerryM View Post
    I was hearing the new piggy was going to be 14yo. But have not seen either a 13 or 14 yet.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    I was hearing the new piggy was going to be 14yo. But have not seen either a 13 or 14 yet.
    I took a ride at lunch to see it and it's definitely 13 yr old and it was priced at $170