Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Whistle Pig Boss-Hog

Whistle Pig is coming out with a 12 (and 1/2 year) barrel strength rye. Suggested retail is $130-$150.

http://www.whistlepigwhiskey.com/the-boss-hog-2/

It doesn't say whether its NCF. Hopefully it is...

I'm a fan of the Alberta Ryes and loved the Jeff 10 NCF. This release should compete against Lock/Stock Rye. The price is high but I'm definitely intrigued by a barrel proof Alberta rye (hopefully NCF) and might grab a bottle in November.

Thoughts?
    Justin

Connoisseur

Re: Whistle Pig Boss-Hog

Sounds good. Put me down for a bottle.
    Peggy: Look Al, the rubes think I'm sexy!
    Al: So would I if I had whiskey for breakfast.

Connoisseur

Justin, what did you think of the WP 11/111? I've never had it, thought that the WP10 was marginally better than the Jeff10 CF version, and lagged pretty far behind the NCF. I'm a bit leery of dropping that much coin on a Canadian rye, even if it is BP and NCF. I'm a fan of the style in general, I just want to hear a couple glowing reviews before I decide to take the plunge. But really, I guess there's only one way to find out

Enthusiast

Sorry guys but need to know the PRICE $$$ first before I can comment on anything. At $45 looks awesome. At $145 not awesome.
    "Sat down to my supper twas a bottle of red whiskey" -Dire Wolf

Guru

Seems really pricey but that is not surprising for WhistlePig. The LS&B, while very good, seemed a stretch at $120+ and this would have to be even better to warrant the additional cost.

That said, when I see it I will probably buy at least one being the liquor whore that I am! Although surprisingly I have managed to stay away from the WP11/111.

And its hard to justify any of them with a couple of Jeff10 NCF still in the bunker.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Wryguy View Post
    I'm a bit leery of dropping that much coin on a Canadian rye, even if it is BP and NCF.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazer View Post
    Sorry guys but need to know the PRICE $$$ first before I can comment on anything. At $45 looks awesome. At $145 not awesome.
    Yup.
    For perspective Alberta Premium put out a 30yo here in Canada for 50 bucks. Granted, it was watered down to 40% and most likely chill-filtered, but 30 years old!!!
    Bottom line, all indications suggest the whistlepig is basically the same distillate at one third the age. Until AP (or their owners Beam) gets their heads out of the sand and bottles a BP, NCF whisky themselves (instead of selling it to an NDP to re-package and mark-up several hundred %) I'm on the sidelines on Canadian whisky >$50.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Dolph Lundgren View Post
    Whistle Pig is coming out with a 12 (and 1/2 year) barrel strength rye. Suggested retail is $130-$150.

http://www.whistlepigwhiskey.com/the-boss-hog-2/

It doesn't say whether its NCF. Hopefully it is...

I'm a fan of the Alberta Ryes and loved the Jeff 10 NCF. This release should compete against Lock/Stock Rye. The price is high but I'm definitely intrigued by a barrel proof Alberta rye (hopefully NCF) and might grab a bottle in November.

Thoughts?
    The product sounds great and I'd definitely be interested as I'm a massive WP fan....but I'm not a fan of that price. Sheesh....
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didn’t understand the question."

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by MacinJosh View Post
    The product sounds great and I'd definitely be interested as I'm a massive WP fan....but I'm not a fan of that price. Sheesh....
    Definitely agree. I'm looking forward to a bottle materializing on the Gazebo table some day, but I won't be purchasing one. Like portwood said, just release this same product straight from the distillery and charge $70. You'd move it like nobody's business.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Wryguy View Post
    Justin, what did you think of the WP 11/111? I've never had it, thought that the WP10 was marginally better than the Jeff10 CF version, and lagged pretty far behind the NCF. I'm a bit leery of dropping that much coin on a Canadian rye, even if it is BP and NCF. I'm a fan of the style in general, I just want to hear a couple glowing reviews before I decide to take the plunge. But really, I guess there's only one way to find out
    I haven't tried the 111 yet, either. I agree with everything you said. I think, really, its going to come down to whether this is CF or not. I'd love to have a BP Canadian NCF - even at 12 (and 1/2) years. NCF Jeff 10s are the bomb - imagine 2 (1/2) more years and BP! I'll email them and report back.

As far as prices, the msrp on this is becoming the new norm and no worse than grabbing a BTAC on the secondary market (or from greedy retailers). I've (begrudgingly) accepted things for what they are and shifted my price expectations for good whiskey about $40 to the right. At this point, the bunker is big enough to buy less...still sucks, though, and doesn't take away all of the sting.
    Justin

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Lazer View Post
    Sorry again, I read the O.P. too fast and missed the part where he actually quoted the actual MSRP. My 145 was me guessing what would be the stupidest price they would want to charge for this, and there it is.
    "Sat down to my supper twas a bottle of red whiskey" -Dire Wolf