Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: Whistle Pig Boss-Hog

Boss Hog hit Caskers this morning. $149.99

Guru

Wow that's some pig! Won't be dining on that swine.

Virtuoso

So why such a wide price discrepancy between Rye and Bourbon of about the same age? Purely marketing, or some weird science/maturation divergence I'm not aware of.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by theglobalguy View Post
    So why such a wide price discrepancy between Rye and Bourbon of about the same age? Purely marketing, or some weird science/maturation divergence I'm not aware of.
    Rye is the flavour of the day (i.e. demand is high). Supply is (supposedly) low.
    When the seller has the upper hand prices go up.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by portwood View Post
    Rye is the flavour of the day (i.e. demand is high). Supply is (supposedly) low.
    When the seller has the upper hand prices go up.
    That is an interesting comment on the supply side. We genuinely have to take their word for it since they don't publish stock levels in maturation.

No chance I'm dropping $150 on "the Boss Hog". Is there an equivalent in age/style? (Akin to Jeffersons/Mastersons/WP relationship)

Guru

All bottles of the WP111 are sill on the shelves at the two stores I frequent. The $110.00 price hasn't tempted anyone so I doubt this will move very fast @ $149.

Enthusiast

I was hoping that this release would be (at least) $20 cheaper and in the $130 range.
    Justin

Disciple

Similar to PHC, you are really paying only $70 for the whiskey. The other $79 goes to their legal fund.

Connoisseur

Yesterday, I took a friend on a hunting expedition for his birthday, and we had a pretty fun time, had a couple good finds, even went in a basement. Last stop of the day was a nice wine store with some great whiskies, and the guy working came over and poured us some LSB 13. My first taste, to be honest I was expecting something akin to WP, but man, I came away impressed. It was beautiful, waxy green apples and licorice all over the palate, and a lot of character. Others who compare to the VWFRR because of the similar age are kinda comparing apples and oranges, and for a 100% enzymatic rye, it's the best I've had. In chatting with him, he said it would be priced at $105, which I think I'd pay for a bottle of this stuff. And he said that by the time I come in to pick up the bottle he should have a sample of the BossHog. I had great reservations about the LSB13 and they were unfounded, so I'm going to reserve judgement on WPBH until I get a pour. Luckily this place will probably price the bottle as fairly as they can, so if it's a surprise like the LSB13, it will be coming home with me. Also, on a funny note, as we were discussing our love of ryes while my buddy bought most every bottle he can't get in the western part of the state, the guy working let slip that he has been searching high and low for BMH18. He'll be getting a nice surprise in sample bottle form the next time I go in. So, I guess my point, in long-winded, anedoctal form, is that good turns are returned, and you only know how you feel about a whiskey once you've tasted it. Boss Hog I look forward to wrestling your greasy ass to the ground, and figuring out if I like you for my damn self.
    Last edited by Wryguy; 11-01-2013 at 11:33.

Virtuoso

Some nice first notes there. And knowing your fine taste in ryes, I think I'm a bit more swayed to pull the trigger if and when I see it.

Probably should ask the local whiskey monger about this, probably a long shot, but worth asking.

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."