Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Whistle Pig Boss-Hog

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    Their twitter feed also does nothing to dispel the Vermont myth.

There are a number of folks who point out the issue when necessary.
    I'm pretty sure this annoys Davin as well. I believe he wrote an article on this very subject conveying his disappointment. I'm sure Canadians are proud of this juice (and should be!) and I find it rather rude and disingenuous that Americans are taking credit for it.

Keep hammering them everyone. Maybe the WP powers to be will get the picture and come around.
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didn’t understand the question."

Guru

Not bloody likely, bigger whoppers to come is the safe bet.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Disciple

Saw it for the first time on the shelf today @ $169.00 and happily passed it by.

Connoisseur

And they say you can't get bullshit from a pig...

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by TunnelTiger View Post
    Saw it for the first time on the shelf today @ $169.00 and happily passed it by.
    Their pricing is ridiculous.

But what do I know? If supply is limited and the ones on the shelves are getting bought by someone....then the pricing is probably right.

I just don't see many of us (the enthusiast) buying these up. Too many other amazing pours to be had for $170 a bottle. I can think of 30-50 off the top of my head.
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didn’t understand the question."

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Randy & I both tried a pour of the Boss Hog a week ago. We thought it was undrinkable. Randy described it as a petrol taste and I just wanted to spit it out or go back in time to before I took a sip. The sample we tried was from barrel #14. I'm generally enjoy the other products made from this same Canadian Rye, so maybe this was just a stinker of a barrel. But if that was the case, I find it hard to believe that someone as esteemed as Dave Pickerel would let this out the door as such a premium product.

Guru

There's no shortage of 100% rye whisky, Alberta Distillers (owned by Jim Beam) cranks out a lot of it every day. Wait a minute, isn't the Beam brand Tangle Ridge also 10 years old? Think so.

I'm not surprised that Mr. Pickerel, himself a former Beam employee, would choose Alberta as maker of "The finest Rye in the World", he used to say something similar about Makers Mark when he worked there.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by wadewood View Post
    Randy & I both tried a pour of the Boss Hog a week ago. We thought it was undrinkable. Randy described it as a petrol taste and I just wanted to spit it out or go back in time to before I took a sip. The sample we tried was from barrel #14. I'm generally enjoy the other products made from this same Canadian Rye, so maybe this was just a stinker of a barrel. But if that was the case, I find it hard to believe that someone as esteemed as Dave Pickerel would let this out the door as such a premium product.
    Gotta think it was a bad barrel or some other flaw. I have had a taste from two different bottles and thought they were excellent (One was barrel 10. Not sure if the other was a different barrel). Only bad thing was the painfully excessive price. Similar to Mastersons Batch 3 except it was barrel proof and more than twice the price.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

We expect to pay more for barrel proof, certainly, but when Willet does one for 1/5 the price . . .

Advanced Taster

I've said it elsewhere and I'll say it again I think all these ultra-premium prices are part of an experiment by makers to see just how much they can charge before customers balk. I tasted the Boss Hog and liked it (not sure which barrel it was) but not nearly enough to pay $149. I have to think the Canadian makers are finally going wake up and see the $ potential in Rye and start selling it themselves. My other fear is that as these ultra-premium prices become the norm people will be immunized to price creep at the mid-tier level.