Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Apprentice

Update to the Acronym list?

Howdy!

Is it possible to update the Acronym list? Please and thank you. There are a bunch that are being bandied around that I have no clue about. Or, is it possible to add some coding so that when someone mouses over an acronym there's a small pop up with the full name?

In this thread alone, there is OBSF, JR, #HW 29-3V, HW-29C and PS and that's just in the first 6 posts. None of which are on the acronym list.

Thanks in advance.

Virtuoso

Re: Update to the Acronym list?

OBSF - this is one of the 10 "formulas" for the Four Roses' bourbons. I think this one is high rye mashbill, herbal essence yeast - all 10 are detailed somewhere on here and also on Four Roses' website.

JR - probably "Jim Rutledge", master distiller at Four Roses.

The next two are probably warehouse/rickhouse locations for single barrels.

PS - I'm thinking "Party Source", sometimes also as TPS ("The Party Source")? A retailer in KY that used to ship so quite popular.

Some of these are probably "soft" acronyms/on-the-fly shorthand, people make them up through repetition - you see it in the same post often. Someone will be talking about Jim Rutledge and then later just say "JR". Some of it you just have to get used to; as you read posts you become accustomed to it. My personal favorites are "FRSmBLE" and "RRSmBSB"

You'll be amazed at how quickly you'll pick it up ...
    Mark

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by sutton View Post
    OBSF - this is one of the 10 "formulas" for the Four Roses' bourbons. I think this one is high rye mashbill, herbal essence yeast - all 10 are detailed somewhere on here and also on Four Roses' website.

JR - probably "Jim Rutledge", master distiller at Four Roses.

The next two are probably warehouse/rickhouse locations for single barrels.

PS - I'm thinking "Party Source", sometimes also as TPS ("The Party Source")? A retailer in KY that used to ship so quite popular.

Some of these are probably "soft" acronyms/on-the-fly shorthand, people make them up through repetition - you see it in the same post often. Someone will be talking about Jim Rutledge and then later just say "JR". Some of it you just have to get used to; as you read posts you become accustomed to it. My personal favorites are "FRSmBLE" and "RRSmBSB"

You'll be amazed at how quickly you'll pick it up ...
    PS - Private Selection (The barrel strength 4R releases picked by the store or the Gift Shop get labelled this way).

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by theglobalguy View Post
    PS - Private Selection (The barrel strength 4R releases picked by the store or the Gift Shop get labelled this way).
    Right - and there is a good example of having to read it in context ... I could have guessed better given the previous acronyms!
    Mark

You have been heard. I'm working on updating the acronym and abbreviations list folks. Just need a little more time.

Thanks for your patience. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbowljoe View Post
    You have been heard. I'm working on updating the acronym and abbreviations list folks. Just need a little more time.

The ones I had to write down on my printed list are:
    AE
    JPS
    SA
    THH
    TPS
    WP

Enthusiast

SA=Smooth Ambler Rye?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
    Howdy!

Is it possible to update the Acronym list? Please and thank you. There are a bunch that are being bandied around that I have no clue about. Or, is it possible to add some coding so that when someone mouses over an acronym there's a small pop up with the full name?

In this thread alone, there is OBSF, JR, #HW 29-3V, HW-29C and PS and that's just in the first 6 posts. None of which are on the acronym list.

Thanks in advance.
    IITYWTMWYBMAD?
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Guru

Abbreviating my words causes me to abbreviate my thoughts which at my age are no longer flexible enough to quickly stretch back.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Apprentice

Howdy!

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbowljoe View Post

Thanks tons! And no rush, as Sutton pointed out, with some time I'll pick it up. And in the interim I'll muddle through :-)