Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

BOTM 11/13: Pappy 15

Okay, here we go…….

I'm one person that usually doesn't look forward to this time of year. I don't mind the new whiskeys coming out, or the fall release of the BTAC and Van Winkles, etc..etc…etc.. It bothers me because here on the site, we have to go through another bunch of threads about Pappy/Van Winkle stuff! Even though we've even tried to combine all things Van Winkle into one single thread, some of you folks just have to start another one. Sheeeesh. What's a mother to do? So, I thought to myself WTF? I'm just gonna start my own thread about Pappy/Van Winkle, and use the BOTM forum to do it. Nahhh neh ne nah neh!

Just kidding. (For the most part.) I know that Pappy 15 has been the BOTM before, but it's been a while. Besides, with the Van Winkle release upon us, I thought it would be a good time to make it the BOTM.

So have at it. Whatcha got to say about Pappy 15?

My thoughts, which I'll try and keep short and sweet; I like Pappy 15. The changes to Pappy 15 a couple of years ago have been pretty much discussed at length here in one thread or another. I, like a lot of people, tend to think that the current Pappy 15, while still good, isn't quite what the older bottlings were. The older Pappy 15 had more depth and character. That's pretty much it in nutshell. I could go on and on, but I'll just leave it at that.

Cheers, and Happy Pappy! Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Enthusiast

Re: BOTM 11/13: Pappy 15

Only ever had the 15 at a bar in Louisville as part of a 15/20/23 flight. It was absolutely my favorite of the 3. I do have a bottle in the stash that I got from partysource.com about 4 years ago. Saving it for the daughters graduation or wedding unless I can procure another.

Guru

Weller 12 with a few extra credits but no higher degree. I liked it well enough but frankly prefer the 10.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Enthusiast

so if I have a 3 yr old bottle of weller 12 I can taste that instead?

Guru

I believe that's how some retail stores interpret it, yes.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Enthusiast

Sorry if this isn't appropriate to the discussion, if so, please move or delete.

I have a bottle of the 15 that a buddy of mine traded for a Springbank a couple of years ago (he didn't like the pappy and I figured it would be my only opportunity to get one at affordable price). The code is: K0790908:44

Can anyone help me date the bottle? (Note: I'm NOT looking to sell, I just want to know if the whiskey is SW, BT, or other)
    Thanks

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by portwood View Post
    Sorry if this isn't appropriate to the discussion, if so, please move or delete.

I have a bottle of the 15 that a buddy of mine traded for a Springbank a couple of years ago (he didn't like the pappy and I figured it would be my only opportunity to get one at affordable price). The code is: K0790908:44

Can anyone help me date the bottle? (Note: I'm NOT looking to sell, I just want to know if the whiskey is SW, BT, or other)
    Thanks
    Looks like march 20th 2009. 8:44am
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden

Enthusiast

Ok, I'll bite. Have gone through several bottles of PVW15 over past 3 years, and have a couple left in reserve. All bought at retail prices. I think it is the best wheated bourbon I have tried, my favorite of all the PVW variations. I also really like the ORVW10/107 but find the extra age gives the 15 an advantage. Is it worth the "inflated" prices now being asked at many locations? I don't think so. I actually have an open OWA 107 that is as sweet and smooth as can be. I will continue to buy PVW15 when I can find it at "retail" but have to pass if only available at "gouge" prices. Heck, I'd rather pay $175 for one of those 20 yr Willett FEs at the Willett GS.

Disclaimer: FWIW I gave up on the BTAC hunt this year, after successfully tracking down pretty much whatever I wanted past couple of years. Decided hunt wasn't worth the end product. Close to getting that way with PVW (but not entirely yet!).

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Restaurant man View Post
    Looks like march 20th 2009. 8:44am
    Thank you.
    What is the last confirmed bottling date for 15yo SW?

Virtuoso

I can't answer your question specifically, but your bottle almost certainly has some SW in it. No SW was distilled after 1992, I think that's the only factual thing everyone can agree on when it comes to S-W distillate and the PVW line.

I think PVW 15 is very good. It's certainly hard to find outright fault in it, and I usually only criticize in relation to another whiskey like I did when comparing to ORVW 10/107 from 1985 last month. It's a bourbon that, if available on shelves for $60, I would buy several times a year. It has some easy drinking smoothness that more casual drinkers enjoy, but also a robustness that keeps it from being boring to me. It would be among my primary "share with company" bourbons, again, if it were available. Price not being a factor, it's probably my 2nd favorite of the whole Van Winkle bourbon line, but I have not had 10/107 other than the dusty Lawrenceburg bottle, which is among the finest bourbons I have ever tasted. I'd rather find one 20 than two 15s, but I'd buy them all if given the chance.