Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: BOTM 11/13: Pappy 15

You tell'em White Dog. I agree, the aged wheater catagory is great, but lacks affordable easy-to-find options. Why not have more 12 and 15 year old wheaters in the $30-$45 range. I would like to see Buffalo Trace do a single barrel 10 year wheat product. How cool would it be to force Maker's Mark to produce a single barrel 12 year of it's recipe?
    -Guy Debord

Advanced Taster

I currently have an ORVW10 and PVW15 open but haven't done a true side by side yet, maybe tonight! However, while I like the ORVW10 a lot, the extra years in the barrel adds some nice complexity and more depth to the juice as well as diffuses the harshness from the abv that I find with the ORVW10. Both very good but preference is with the PVW15.

Guru

If the demand's there I expect we will see some on the shelves eventually, just 10 years ago the word was rye was on its way out.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Enthusiast

@WhiteDog - testify

Virtuoso

[QUOTE=Guy Debord;377607

However, in a recent family visit to Louisville I was very fortunate to taste the 2013 BTAC release of William Larue Weller and PVW15 in the same day. The WLW blew away the PVW15, don't get me wrong it is quite delicious, but the WLW is a flavor memory I cannot shake. If I see the antique collection around here, I'm maxing out the credit card.

Happy BOTM to you all![/QUOTE]

I definitely agree with Aaron's points about PVW15. It stands alone In style but for me if I could grab one of the two it would be WLW. not as old but the barrel proof makes up for that. I just love the stuff. Unfortunately neither of these bottles are growing on trees
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden

Virtuoso

Pappy 15 has been one of my favorite bourbons of all time!

But, to me, the Fall '11 bottling seemed to be not as good as previous bottlings, so I haven't bought any more of those newer bottlings, plus the price has gotten just crazy these days. I have an '07 bottle open right now, and it's very good.

Guru

I think I may need a sample of that one Gus. For verification purposes only, of course.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

The Voshole

I'm working on an '09 that I bought in 2011 (imagine the odds of a PVW15 sitting on the shelf for 2 yrs these days) and it's heaven in a bottle. Glad I was able to buy a few of them ($49.99!). As for the more recent bottlings, a certain moderator asked me to taste a whiskey, without telling me what it was, last spring. I thought it was damn good with a lot of different tastes/flavors to it and he then told me it was the latest PVW15 offering. Haven't done a SBS with any older bottles, but if the price is reasonable I'll buy the new stuff as well.
    "Bottom line: sometimes things work out this way in life. It doesn't matter how well you've planned; you're just f**ked, and that's that" - The Boss

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by gblick View Post
    Pappy 15 has been one of my favorite bourbons of all time!

But, to me, the Fall '11 bottling seemed to be not as good as previous bottlings, so I haven't bought any more of those newer bottlings, plus the price has gotten just crazy these days. I have an '07 bottle open right now, and it's very good.

The Fall '11 release was the worst one yet. '12 was significantly better. Pre-'09 is out of this world. Haven't yet tasted the 2013s.

Not that any of them are bad, but some are definitely better than others.

Advanced Taster

I have tried all of the Pappy and ORVW line...I currently own one bottle of PVW15 and 3 bottles of ORVW, and in the past year I have consumed one bottle of each. I have sampled the Pappy 20 and 23 year olds in a bar. The Pappy 15 for my palate was my favorite as it was extremely balanced and well integrated. I'm not good as describing the experience as many here, but the best analogy I can think of is in musical terms. The Pappy 15 is like a full symphony orchestra in perfect balance whereas Pappy 20/23 and my Jeffersons Presidential Select could be compared to two very talented soloists (one the sweetness, one the char) playing together as completely separate complementary voices. I think Pappy 20/23 and Jeffersons are more interesting and challenging whiskeys, but to me PVW15 is the most satisfying of the bunch. There are a number of non-wheaters that equal to PVW15 in this regard FOR ME, including a number of Four Roses expressions.