Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: BOTM 11/13: Pappy 15

I find the 15 to be the do it all bottling within the VW line. More refined than the ORVW 10/107, more bold than the 20. They all bring something unique. I find that my favorite varies with mood and palate. Anymore I lean toward the 10, some wood, but the bourbon is the star. The 15 takes that and ramps up the wood. I tend to love the elegance of the 20, but less often. By price it is an occasion pour, but to me, it is an occasion pour because of its flavor as well.

I just had a nice pour of 15 last week. Compared to the older bottlings, I get a little less brown sugar, a little more cinnamon, and a little more heat. My perfect pour of 15 would be a combination of the brown sugar and cinnamon without the perceived increase in heat.

Virtuoso

I absolutely adored PVW15 at it's old retail of about $55 a bottle. Over the past few years I've gone through several bottles. Now after the price hike I'd much rather have ORVW 10/107.

Disciple

I'm surprised this hasn't gotten more attention than it has being BOTM considering tis' the season and all.I still do so enjoy the 15 as my preferred pour of the line ,is it different than the past full SW from the mass bottling of 09,yes and it is creeping towards the price point where I will start to lose interest.The SW was a much softer fuller profile as where the BT mingled stuff is quite a bit hotter and a tad more simplistic,but still very good in it's own right.I also fully admit I will still seek it out,I will just divide up my purchases from here on out as every year I seem to buy more and more of the 10yr.I will also add that the heat of the BT stock I thought transitioned nicely into the 20 and added a much needed element of vibrance,call me crazy but I actually prefer the mingled 20 more than the SW.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Enthusiast

No sign of anything pappy or any BTAC for that matter in New Mexico, not even in bars, so its not for lack of desire that I won't be tasting this BOTM

Enthusiast

Never had it, and I suspect I never will. Just too hard to find now, and I got in this game too late to have a stash.

I gather the closest I've come to it is my bottles of the V17 wheater, and those are amazing. So I am sure I would love the Pappy 15. Very glad I did stock up on the V17, but should have bought more in retrospect.

Guru

shouldnt the BOTM be something actually attainable? this is gonna be a short thread if only people who HAVE it write about it.

Enthusiast

If anyone's got too much Pappy in their bottle(s), you can definitely send it my way via tiny taster samples. I will not fight the hordes to get this but I'd be lying to say the curiosity isn't killing me.

Guru

I have only had a couple small pours of the BT distilled PVW15 from 2012. It's good stuff. It's basically an older and slightly more complex version of the (BT) ORVW 10/107. I actually did a side-by-side of some OWA (2005), ORVW 10/107 (2012), and PVW15 (2012). There is a clear family resemblance and you can see the slight changes as you go up in years. Yet, they are all still very similar in flavor profile. I personally prefer the ORVW 10 out of the three.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post
    shouldnt the BOTM be something actually attainable? this is gonna be a short thread if only people who HAVE it write about it.
    What, we need to actually have some on hand to voice an opinion about it? Jeez, that would limit conversation around here. I prefer our congenial, share your thoughts sort of approach.
    Last edited by squire; 11-05-2013 at 14:19.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
    I actually did a side-by-side of some OWA (2005), ORVW 10/107 (2012), and PVW15 (2012). . . . . I personally prefer the ORVW 10 out of the three.
    Me too . . . . . . . . . . .
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.