Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: BOTM 11/13: Pappy 15

While it's not easy to buy a bottle of PVW, it is quite easy to get a pour or two from a bar or friend. I've never owned a bottle myself.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Guru

Ah, so your friends are both wealthy and generous, I should be so lucky.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Ah, so your friends are both wealthy and generous, I should be so lucky.
    ...this guy...
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    What, we need to actually have some on hand to voice an opinion about it? Jeez, that would limit conversation around here. I prefer our congenial, share your thoughts sort of approach.
    On a recent camping trip, the generator on our RV was acting up and a neighbor came over to help. My wife, looking over our shoulders, offered "helpful advice."
    "Does she know a lot about generators?" he asked.
    "No," I said, "but that doesn't prevent her from having very definite opinions."
    Sitting around, BSing with the boys, is pleasant because we know it is BS and has no serious consequences. Philologists call it phatic communion. Marshall McCluen (what are you doin'?) told us the medium is the message. As an SBer, I can confess to liking HH White in my morning coffee (no cream, thank you) and some other SBer will think that's cool. He might note a hint of espresso bean in HH and suggest that it makes a perfect pairing with the coffee. And so it goes.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Virtuoso

I have a bottle from '09 open at the moment. I opened it on the 4th of July (because I'm a TRUE AMERICAN@!!@) and mostly lay off of it until I have company over. It's been a few years since I opened a pre-2011 bottle, and coming back to it now, it's much more woody than I remember - more so than the '11 and '12 iterations. It's also much more nuanced than the '11 and '12 bottlings, of which I much preferred the '12.

Aged wheaters are incredibly rare, and BT's Pappy 15, despite the negative connotations attached to its hype and the decline in nuance over the pre-2011 bottlings, still offers something you can't get anywhere else. 15 years is a great length of time for a wheated bourbon to sit in a barrel, and 107° is relatively tame enough to allow a full range of flavors without tiring out the palate too quickly while also providing a satisfying kick.

Going from memory, the 2011 had a grainy texture to it that I did not enjoy. It achieved a nice depth after a few months of air, with caramel and vanilla making their expected appearance, but I don't recall it offering much beyond that. The '12 had a more pleasing texture to me and offered a slightly more buttery caramel that was stunted in nuance by more neutral wood sugars. The '09 doesn't have that problem. The nose is woody and creamy, with milk chocolate caramel and vanilla. The palate comes on oaky with a more fruity caramel on the palate that turns to buttered brown sugar towards the finish. The finish is woody again, but allows an expansion of the caramel notes into that fudgey vanilla butter caramel place that can come through in waves, deepening as it progresses.

I'm interested to see what profiles BT can achieve with Pappy 15 going forward, but the chase for it is definitely a losing battle. It was up to $80 around here last year, and with Binny's pricing, I would not be surprised if it climbs up to $90 this year. I would probably buy a bottle if given the chance, but if the price climbs much higher (which it's bound to do for any bottles that do not see a shelf), it will become just another over-priced curiousity for me.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Advanced Taster

No bottles of this for me. I cannot find anything to save my life.

However, in a recent family visit to Louisville I was very fortunate to taste the 2013 BTAC release of William Larue Weller and PVW15 in the same day. The WLW blew away the PVW15, don't get me wrong it is quite delicious, but the WLW is a flavor memory I cannot shake. If I see the antique collection around here, I'm maxing out the credit card.

Happy BOTM to you all!
    -Guy Debord

Advanced Taster

Can't find any in my Colorado stores right now. Do any of our CO friends know where to find this one?

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by BillP View Post
    Can't find any in my Colorado stores right now. Do any of our CO friends know where to find this one?
    Last year you had to stand in a really really long line. I'm guessing it hasn't shown up in Colorado yet this year.
    Jim

Connoisseur

I've only had the 10/107, which was probably my favorite bourbon to date (tough call between that, KC120, OGD114). Doubt I'll ever shell out for the 15 now, given the price hikes and availability concerns.

But I'll keep my eye out for the 10/107 and Lot B.... hopefully it's not too insane this year.

William Larue Weller is the real one I'm hoping to score. Not getting my hopes up, as the stores around here don't seem to get much BTAC.
    Last edited by JPBoston; 11-06-2013 at 22:25.

Disciple

I agree with a lot of Aaron's points. For me, the last couple of releases have been a bit more "grainy" and have less of the decadent buttery and lush mouthfeel of years past. That said, I love the 15yr for the aggressive qualities, and also the 20yr for the layers of richness.(Not a fan of the 23yr.) And I also enjoy the 10 and 12, although not as much.

While the subject of Pappy does get tiring at times, I also get tired of people who always want to proclaim that there are cheaper Bourbons that are just as good. I enjoy OGD and BT as much as the next guy, but the simply fact is that I love aged wheaters.

Let me say that again. I LOVE AGED WHEATERS. Do I love over-aged Rye-recipe Bourbon, no, but I love this category. And guess what, Kentucky mostly ignores this category, so what the f--k am I supposed to drink? Vintage 17 is gone. PHC Wheater was a one-off. Old Fitz 12yr is just eh. Weller 12yr is not that appealing to my palate. So I'll continue to buy and drink Pappy and Larue, cuz I don't have any other f--kin' options. (You listening, Kentucky?)

And for what it's worth, last year I found 15yr for $80, 20yr for $110, and Larue for $80. And since those are the only ways to drink this category, I gladly paid, and I'll do it again. And yes, there are lots of other great, and less expensive Bourbons in the world, but they are not aged Wheaters.