Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: BOTM 11/13: Pappy 15

Like many on this thread, I am a big fan of aged wheaters, Van Winkles in particular. As I've stated before, I developed my taste for bourbon during my youth by raiding my Pappy's stash of a seemingly endless supply of Old Fitzgerald and other Stitzel-Weller product. I discovered Pappy 15 back in the good old days when Van Winkle products actually made it to the shelves, and my first Pappy 15 made my toes curl with delight. This BOTM is somewhat timely as I was nearing the end of a Pappy 15 I had opened as a vacation treat last summer (probably purchased in Fall of 2011, the last time I was able to find any for sale, but could have been older as I haven't noted the when/where on my purchases). I like this bottle of Pappy 15 just fine, but it doesn't make my toes curl.

So as it's BOTM, I got a bit serious, and had the Mrs. arrange a SBS test, first with Wellers--a 12yo, Antique 107, & WLW. She diluted them to the same strength as necessary. Wasn't really blind as I knew what four I was tasting, and it was really no problem sorting them out, topped by that Pappy 15 tasting better than ever--great complexity, mouth feel, finish. Yum (a symphony of flavors, to borrow from the post above).

A few days later she set up another test for me with Van Winkles--a Lot B and an Old Rip 10/90--plus the WLW. (She was so amused by this routine that she snapped a photo--attached.) This time I got all confused, again thinking my favorite was the Pappy 15, but it was actually the Lot B (the Pappy 15 was runner-up and I even favored the Old Rip to the WLW). Not too big a surprise as I've had some honey Lot Bs in the past that have made my toes curl.

If given the opportunity (such as being selected in a store lottery or being looked upon with favor by a favorite retailer), I'll probably still pick up a Pappy (or a Lot B) at a premium price, but I won't embark on an odyssey to find them as I did in 2011. Aren't we in the midst of a whiskey renaissance? For prices at or below a Pappy's, I can go to my big Binny's (and elsewhere) and choose from many marvelous bottles--and without jumping through any hoops.

Guru

We are indeed in the midst of a Bourbon/Rye renaissance, more choices than ever and even more exciting choices to come.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Advanced Taster

Per my post above, the pic I mentioned attaching isn't there because I couldn't remember how to add an image (not that it was all that great a pic). And I just got confused by the FAQ answer as to how to add a pic to a reply. Seems like it was pretty easy the last time I added an image. Can some kindly soul walk me through it simply? Cheers, Charlie

Guru

I've found having a drink helps.

Connoisseur

As I write this I'm killing the last of what looks to be a Spring 2012 bottle that I opened earlier this year. This one didn't win me over like some of the older bottles of PVW15 I've had, which is probably why it took so long for me to kill it. The palate is much more open and enjoyable than a pour of 50/50 SB Blend, but the a palate and finish are not great. Too much alcohol and a bitter wood taste. Good long finish, but I'm not savoring it.

Advanced Taster

I got to try my first P15 this week, at a bar near me that had received such for the first time, along with an ORVW10--both 2013s. So, I did a SBS. I'm turrrrible at notes, but I vividly recall liking the P15 significantly more. It wasn't a blind tasting, as my goal was to find the ORVW10 every bit as good as the P15 (since I've got a bottle of the former, but none of the latter, at home). The nose on the 10 was more alcohol-ish, the taste of the P15 was more maple-y rich, while the P15 had a finish like nothing else I could recall (not like the ORVW, not like OWA7 or W12, not like Jeff 17, or EC18, or any of those FR Barrel Proofers) -- I don't know what that finish was, but I certainly liked it.

Guru

Good notes Esk, I'd much rather read what someone likes rather than a list of descriptors.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Manthey View Post
    As I write this I'm killing the last of what looks to be a Spring 2012 bottle that I opened earlier this year. This one didn't win me over like some of the older bottles of PVW15 I've had, which is probably why it took so long for me to kill it. The palate is much more open and enjoyable than a pour of 50/50 SB Blend, but the a palate and finish are not great. Too much alcohol and a bitter wood taste. Good long finish, but I'm not savoring it.
    Until they make their way through all of the Bernheim, I think bitter will be an adjective we hear frequently.

Weller 12 is a good example. If you think it tastes "sooty", crack open a bottle from the most recent release bottled this summer. Not sooty at all. Transitioned from Bernheim to BT. It will be interesting to see how this also changes the Van Winkle line in the upcoming years.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by nblair View Post
    Until they make their way through all of the Bernheim, I think bitter will be an adjective we hear frequently.

Weller 12 is a good example. If you think it tastes "sooty", crack open a bottle from the most recent release bottled this summer. Not sooty at all. Transitioned from Bernheim to BT. It will be interesting to see how this also changes the Van Winkle line in the upcoming years.
    No expert on Bernheim, but if that's what is in the V17 then bitter is the last descriptor I would use. It is sweet like candy apple or apple strudel. And if I'm not mistaken the sooty W12's have been the more recent BT versions. The older ones- and I have a few are not that way at all. IMO and YMMV disclaimers apply.
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dusty View Post
    No expert on Bernheim, but if that's what is in the V17 then bitter is the last descriptor I would use. It is sweet like candy apple or apple strudel. And if I'm not mistaken the sooty W12's have been the more recent BT versions. The older ones- and I have a few are not that way at all. IMO and YMMV disclaimers apply.
    IMO and YMMV always apply when it comes to bourbon, well said. If you taste some recent release Weller 12 side by side with last year's, you'll see what I mean. Try it.

As for V17, I don't know what they were using. I believe it was assumed Bernheim, but I think they may have had some BT wheat as well. I can't help much on that one.