Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: Foreign Whisky of the Month - 11/2013: Caol Ila

Nosing the empty glass brings out milk chocolate and hot cocoa with marshmallows. So good.

I need to revisit the standard 12 soon. I always toy with adding a CS to overseas orders but have yet to pull the trigger.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Nosing the empty glass brings out milk chocolate and hot cocoa with marshmallows. So good.

I need to revisit the standard 12 soon. I always toy with adding a CS to overseas orders but have yet to pull the trigger.
    If you don't mind me asking, whats the general price range your seeing all in for a bottle of CS shipped across the pond?

Virtuoso
    It varies all over the place because there are so many bottlings at every age. Lots of Caol Ila out there. I think this 1990 bottle would have been around 170 shipped give or take. I've tried to take a temporary leave from purchasing malts due to pricing, but it's tough to stick to it.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    It varies all over the place because there are so many bottlings at every age. Lots of Caol Ila out there. I think this 1990 bottle would have been around 170 shipped give or take. I've tried to take a temporary leave from purchasing malts due to pricing, but it's tough to stick to it.
    Thanks for the info, too rich for my (current) blood. Looks like I may end up trying to grab the standard expression or just a dram at the bar.

Connoisseur

I've been contemplating it for a while, but there's a Duncan Taylor Rare Auld Caol Ila 27 year old 1B CS that going to be coming home with me. Caol Ila is my second favorite Islay, after Bowmore.

Virtuoso

I opened up a 1B 10yo CS CI aged in sauternes barrels last night. This is from a barrel that was selected by Sam's before Binny's bought them out, and bottled by Signatory. I drank through one in a very short time about a year ago and figured this was a perfect excuse to grab another from the bunker.

The nose on this is all Christmas. I find CI to offer a very robust presentation of peat, at least in their younger bottlings; I've never had anything of theirs over 12 years old. The sauternes brings Christmas spices, similar to what you get in an Octoberfest beer. The entry is sweet and oily but soon transitions to that sharp sharp peat on the palate, tempered by the sauternes that, in balance, brings on a super-satisfying smoke that wafts over when your neighbor is burning leaves in autumn. This is viscous stuff, showing some fish oil with the cold-winded smoke, but never losing the soft sweetness of the sauternes influence, like cuddling in a silky mink coat by a fire in the woods.

Timd turned me on to this barrel, and he swears by super-young CS CI - like 6 or 7 year olds - which I have yet to taste. I also haven't experienced what's left in a CI with more age on it, but at 10yo old, it delivers one of the most unstoppable forms of peat I've experienced. It's not medicinal like Laphroaig, nor tarry like Ardbeg, nor sulphuric machine smoke like Lagavulin. It's more well-rounded and steady, and aggressive like a runaway train.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    ...brings on a super-satisfying smoke that wafts over when your neighbor is burning leaves in autumn...
    Love that! That is so spot on.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post

like cuddling in a silky mink coat by a fire in the woods.

I have to admit, I've never experienced this. Though you are selling me on getting a bottle.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by MtnDew View Post
    I have to admit, I've never experienced this. Though you are selling me on getting a bottle.
    Kidnap a rich old lady and give it a try. It's worth the short prison time. Maybe the judge will be a malt lover and will go easy on the sentencing.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Enthusiast

I had a glass of the standard 12 CI this weekend and I was forgot how balanced it was. Gentle smoke, brine, seaweed and a little malty sweetness. I've only had 1 CS CI (a 6yr old), and while young it was surprisingly oily and had a great mouthfeel. There is a 22 and 30 (samaroli) on the shelves near me, and I may just splurge after my wallet recovers from the fall release damage.

I've heard people say CI is a good substitute for those unable/unwilling to mortgage their home for a bottle of PE, and I can see that...
    Justin