Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Virtuoso

Re: Foreign Whisky of the Month - 11/2013: Caol Ila

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    I'll bring a lighting kit to Bardstown in April and we can film you pronouncing everything you want.
    Way ahead of ya Josh... If I do make it to Bardstown in April and you bring your kit, I bet we could brainstorm a good deal of stuff to put on film!
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Guru

Drunk Bourbon History should still be a thing.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    Drunk Bourbon History should still be a thing.
    Was that cancelled? I saw an episode or two. It was... ok. I'll go ahead and offer that a well-staged drunk is more entertaining than a lightweight who's had three or four drinks and gets in front of the camera.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Virtuoso

I had a nice pour of the sauternes finished CI I mentioned earlier in the thread last night, and man did I enjoy it. I have a CS 1B 7yo that I have yet to open, perhaps I'll have to do so this week. A lot of malts are quite oily at CS and UCF (ok so this goes for whiskey in general), and CI is no exception; this one is brimming with luxurious, oily goodness. I had a taste from the 7yo in the store that convinced me to buy it, and it has the same oiliness.

High quality malts at young ages are a real blessing on my wallet in a world full of well-aged whisky that has a tendency to break the bank.
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    I had a nice pour of the sauternes finished CI I mentioned earlier in the thread last night, and man did I enjoy it. I have a CS 1B 7yo that I have yet to open, perhaps I'll have to do so this week. A lot of malts are quite oily at CS and UCF (ok so this goes for whiskey in general), and CI is no exception; this one is brimming with luxurious, oily goodness. I had a taste from the 7yo in the store that convinced me to buy it, and it has the same oiliness.

High quality malts at young ages are a real blessing on my wallet in a world full of well-aged whisky that has a tendency to break the bank.
    I have been on the lookout for these lately. I have to admit, anything under 10-12 years and I automatically turn my nose up at it... that is until I try them. Often they taste quite good though that is not always the case. I need to branch out and find more like that.

Guru

NAS Caol Ila "Natural Cask Strength" @ 58% (thx to the generous SB'r for the sample) - wow this is a stunner... I'm starting to understand the appeal of young CI.

I think I might prefer this to the Lagavulin 12's I've tasted.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Enthusiast

Is that the stitchelle reserve? I am not a fan of peat, but like whats behind the 12 yr caol ila, just not sure if i want to drop $100+ on a nas scotch without some solid sb reccomendations...

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DrBob View Post
    Is that the stitchelle reserve? I am not a fan of peat, but like whats behind the 12 yr caol ila, just not sure if i want to drop $100+ on a nas scotch without some solid sb reccomendations...
    The Natural Cask Strength line is typically peated I believe. The NAS Stitchell Reserve is the newest version of the unpeated line (although it still has light wisps of smoke and peat) but I haven't seen it for under $100. Prior to that the last unpeated version in 2012 was unusual because it was a 14yo from ex-sherry casks. 2011 was a more typical but well reviewed 12yo ex bourbon cask version. Both were at or below $100 if you can still find them at MSRP. Or find them at all for that matter!

I would buy them if I saw them at or near $100.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

Ralfy's thoughts on the 2010 12yo unpeated CI. I think they are all at cask strength.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DrBob View Post
    Negative DrBob. Mine came from a 200ml sample from a generous SB'r:

Link to this bottle in WhiskyBase: http://www.whiskybase.com/whisky/33773
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof