Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Apprentice

Hello from Austin.

Just tried replying to a tread, and it was rejected so thought maybe I needed to post something newbie friendly - note low post count and 5 year old account.
    Been a brewer for over 25 years, worked in the business. Interned a few years ago grinding grain, stirring corn, drawing barrel samples, etc - a hundred miles up the road.
    I've been drinking a lot of Willett Rye, the family estate single barrel stuff - I don't know the acronyms. It is what I buy 50% of the time. Early on I ran across a barrel #10 which I loved, bought all I could find in Austin, and would buy one if anyone knows where to get one. Been a little burned out on the #43/44's, found a 34 last week for a change. Today I found a barrel #1, which I am very excited to try tonight. There were a couple more on the shelf, hid one behind the 44's. Think this is a "this year" #1, or is this an ongoing project and actually the first barrel of the project? Guess that asks to take this off the topic of what did you buy today.
    They have been "on sale" all year at a large chain I don't like supporting, gradually raising prices, now at $42 out the door which I am fine with.
    Feel free to send me a recommendation if this is what I like, in a rut with limited availability. Not sure how to describe my tastes other than I'm not a fan of some acetyl related high notes common in the $30 to $45 range, a preference for lower, heavier. Like Blanton's enough, but can't find a bottle. Thomas Handy, but can't find / won't pay what online merchants are charging. Have tried just about everything out under $50. A couple of rye's I've been wanting to try, and some that just slip out of what is reasonable unless it is an exceptional single barrel that slipped into what I will spend.
    Time to get to know people in the game, watch each other's backs for finding good bottles / barrels.
    -Cheers

Connoisseur

Re: Hello from Austin.

Only 8-posts? .... Git-er-Dun, Dude.
    I look forward to more from you in the future. I'm sure you have more to add to the discussion.
    If you like Blanton's, try Buffalo Trace or Elmer T. Lee SB. Or, for variety, try a nice wheater like Old Weller Antique 107.
    I can't offer much advice on Ryes, not being a fan so much.

Guru

Howdy Infidel - welcome to SB from Seattle... I used to live in Austin so it's always good to meet more people from the hill country.

I'm kind of a rye nut myself :-)

I'm looking forward to your contributions here and stop on by chat sometime (lower left hand corner).
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Guru

Welcome . . . back!
    You mention trying a lot under $50 - which have you liked/not liked? I'm also a fan of the 4yr Willett Ryes, but think it is hard to be Rittenhouse BIB for $20 (around these parts at least). Jefferson's 10 yr Rye is also one I recommend if you haven't tried it.
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Virtuoso

Should I say welcome when you have been here since 08?

I love Austin and first stop from the airport is Salt Lick and before leaving to the airport is Iron Works for some beef ribs.

Maybe venture to some aged rye, it's going to be a whole another world if you can find them but will be much more than $50.

Perhaps some HighWest as they have a lot of good reviews.

I do like Jeff 10 rye but I have only drank the non-chilled filter and bunker them.

Enthusiast

Hello from Leander.

Gregg
    2012 Straight Bourbon Fantasy Football Champion
    2013 Straight Bourbon Fantasy Football 3rd Place
    2014 Straight Bourbon Fantasy Football ?

Virtuoso

Hello from the Bluegrass State.

Advanced Taster

Hello from Oklahoma. I was in Austin about a month ago...love visiting, great city.

Advanced Taster

Can a 2012 member "welcome" a 2008 member? If so, then please accept this here "welcome" from me. Great to see some another Texan on the board. Following Richnimrod's lead, if you're looking for a Blanton's substitute, but can't find ETL (which is slowly becoming less prevalent in NoTex), consider AAA 10 Star, Hancock, or Rock Hill Farms (which we're not exactly drowning in, either, but hey, that gives you a few more bites at finding that mashbill, iirc). For rye, I co-sign Tigerlam's advice of High West -- they're sourced, but I really like the Rendezvous I've got open, and that was sub-$50, but has some nice, aged stuff in the mix. Or, heck, I might have a spare Wild Turkey Rye 101, and the wife and I will be in Austin in January. [Aside to FlounderinDC: LOVE that CooleyBird -- makes me want to blast Gravity's Gone and hit the gym ... or pour myself another Weller. Threedimesdown is my *other* essential forum, btw.]

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Eskwar View Post
    . [Aside to FlounderinDC: LOVE that CooleyBird -- makes me want to blast Gravity's Gone and hit the gym ... or pour myself another Weller. Threedimesdown is my *other* essential forum, btw.]
    Nice to see another DBT fan. I'm on 3DD too but mostly just read, haven't posted in awhile. Good site. Cheers.