Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Jefferson's Support Act....

Evening Chaps,

just a quick one; if I'm completely in love with Jefferson's Reserve and presidential 18....can you suggest anything similar? I'm struggling to restock the same bottles...

Guru

Re: Jefferson's Support Act....

JR is pretty easy to get in the US. The 18 was a one of kind production that can't be replaced really.

They also have completely different flavor profiles since one is a ryed bourbon and the other is wheated. Try Very Old Barton Bottled in Bond to replace the Jefferson's Reserve and Weller Special Reserve or Larceny to replace the Jefferson's Presidential Select 18yr.

Did you ever try the PHC 2012 Blend of Mashbills that was suggested a few days ago?
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Guru

WK we could be more helpful if you tell us what brands are available to you.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Guru

ive never had, or seen, jefferson 18, but i cant imagine larceny could even be comparable....what is it, one third as old?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post
    ive never had, or seen, jefferson 18
    ...then why reply to a thread asking for something that has a similar taste to Jefferson 18? Similar age does not equal similar taste. Not by a long shot. Plus, I'm taking in to account that WK is in Europe where he may have a very limited selection and very high prices.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Guru

WK was posting from London yesterday so presumably he resides in the United Kingdom. Once he tells us the brands available to him perhaps we can be of assistance.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
    ...then why reply to a thread asking for something that has a similar taste to Jefferson 18? Similar age does not equal similar taste. Not by a long shot. Plus, I'm taking in to account that WK is in Europe where he may have a very limited selection and very high prices.
    It's fun to reply to threads, even when you have absolutely no frame of reference. How much you hate Four Roses, how bland wheaters are, how all of us who are willing to spend more than $50 on a bottle of whiskey are wasting our money....
    Jim

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post
    It's fun to reply to threads, even when you have absolutely no frame of reference. How much you hate Four Roses, how bland wheaters are, how all of us who are willing to spend more than $50 on a bottle of whiskey are wasting our money....
    I agree. What ever your pursuits are, let them be damned !!!
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden

Quote Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
    JR is pretty easy to get in the US. The 18 was a one of kind production that can't be replaced really.

They also have completely different flavor profiles since one is a ryed bourbon and the other is wheated. Try Very Old Barton Bottled in Bond to replace the Jefferson's Reserve and Weller Special Reserve or Larceny to replace the Jefferson's Presidential Select 18yr.

Did you ever try the PHC 2012 Blend of Mashbills that was suggested a few days ago?
    Just got to wait for the ol' birth celebration to come round in a week and I'll have that little swine!

Advanced Taster

Since they pulled Jefferson's 18 and now have Jefferson's 21, I would imagine it is the same whiskey, aged longer at double the price. I have purchased Jeffersons 17 and Jefferson's 18.
    I was hoping to taste Jefferson's 21 at NY WhiskeyFest. But they said they did not bring any due to limited supply. I guess Jefferson's Reserve is not close enough?