Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Guru

Re: Jefferson's Support Act....

I've never had anything that was even close to JPS17/18 as it's some really unique and good stuff. It's not as oaky or sooty like the W12 can be, and it's not as syrupy sweet and hot like OWA can be. That's why I suggested Larceny since it's more balanced than those two and maybe a little more complex than WSR (even though I suggested that too.) As for the Jefferson's Reserve, that's a hard one to pin down as well. It is not in your face at all nor does it have any qualities that really stand out. It's strength is it's balance and well integrated classic bourbon flavors that drink very easily.

...but I guess none of this matters now since WK has decided to get some PHC 2012 Blend of Mashbills which is just as worthwhile (if not more so.)
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Connoisseur

I also agree with most that it would be tough to find anything off the shelf and readily available that is close to the JPS17/18. If you like JPS18, you might enjoy one or several of the following: W12, OWA, WSR, Larceny, or others in the same vein. I also like JPS18 and for my taste, I enjoy W12 and OWA especially an SB blend of those two.

As to Jefferson's Reserve, I too have had a hard time figuring what it taste similar to. When I drank my bottle of it, I kept thinking to myself that it is very very similar to something else but can't put my finger on what it is before the bottle's empty.
    - H

Guru

H the 1783 brand from Heaven Hill comes to mind but it's been some years since my last bottle of Jeff Reserve so the batch could've been completely different.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    H the 1783 brand from Heaven Hill comes to mind but it's been some years since my last bottle of Jeff Reserve so the batch could've been completely different.
    Hmm. I have a bottle of 1783. I will have to go revisit it when I get a chance. Thanks Squire!
    - H

Apologies but I don't know what you lovely chaps mean when you use abbreviations like OWA, etc. I worked some out but am a bit lost. If there is a sticky so I might enlighten myself, please poke me in that direction....

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by WarlKicken View Post
    Apologies but I don't know what you lovely chaps mean when you use abbreviations like OWA, etc. I worked some out but am a bit lost. If there is a sticky so I might enlighten myself, please poke me in that direction....
    http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum....php?f=43&a=13
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Guru

Or just write it out, I think the prevalence of acronyms is a modern trend like speaking in incomplete sentences.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Guru

Or just write it out, I think the prevalence of acronyms is a modern trend like speaking in incomplete sentences.
    .........true dat

Top work big man.

....made my mind up to support JPS18 with PHC6. Payday tomorrow, I even took a day off to thoroughly enjoy the occasion, then I find JPS21.

Bugger. Anyone know anything about it? I could buy JPS18 and PHC6 for the price of one JPS21..........