Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Jefferson's Support Act....

I couldn't have said it better myself Eric. I have learned so much about bourbon/rye and my own tastes in the past couple of years. It truly has been an enjoyable journey. I initially started out with only a taste for rye. Now I would say my bunker is probably a 60/40 bourbon/rye ratio. Anyway. Good stuff there Eric.

Guru

but i never said all 4R stuff was worthless. I said i had a barrel proofer and loved it, and I had a single barrel and couldnt even drink it. and, since i generally wont spend over $50 or go under 100 proof, i was reluctant to take my chances on another 4R product....when, for the price, i can get something i really like instead.

overall, im open to alot of stuff and enjoy trying new stuff regularly, but i stick to the $50/100 proof rule, as I dont think (again, to ME) that anything warrants over that amount unless its really old.....and the fact that ive never found one thing sub 100 proof that i like, even in the least. i am quite sure there is some reaaaaly good stuff over $50, but i am just not willing to cross that line. but, thats just me

you know what they say about opinions....

i definately have my opinions, but im not gonna slam one of you guys over your opinion. i may publicaly say i dont like your favorite brand, but im not going to discount your opinion.

geez...

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post
    but i never said all 4R stuff was worthless. I said i had a barrel proofer and loved it, and I had a single barrel and couldnt even drink it. and, since i generally wont spend over $50 or go under 100 proof, i was reluctant to take my chances on another 4R product....when, for the price, i can get something i really like instead.

overall, im open to alot of stuff and enjoy trying new stuff regularly, but i stick to the $50/100 proof rule, as I dont think (again, to ME) that anything warrants over that amount unless its really old.....and the fact that ive never found one thing sub 100 proof that i like, even in the least. i am quite sure there is some reaaaaly good stuff over $50, but i am just not willing to cross that line. but, thats just me

i definately have my opinions, but im not gonna slam one of you guys over your opinion. i may publicaly say i dont like your favorite brand, but im not going to discount your opinion.

geez...
    I have two questions...Do you believe in punctuation and have to tested your assumptions by tasting blind?
    You can find me in chat most nights on days ending with the letter y!

Connoisseur

Damn Bob. Just beat me to it. Blind tasting can be very humbling.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post

geez...
    You don't even have to sweat it fox, because you are sitting on the mother load of KCSB! That's one hell of a problem to have my friend!

Guru

yeah, ive done blind tastings. thats how i came to find the things i liked.

Guru

I find when I taste blind, the odds of my spilling it a bit increase by a factor of 10!
    Always drink with your eyes open. For you, for your family, and for the whiskey.
    This has been a public safety announcement
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Guru

IMHO, to get something along the lines of JPS 18 you'd need to do some dusty hunting. Possibly for JPS 18 While age is one factor, the juice is another. There aren't a lot of aged wheaters out there. Not sure if you took an older WLW and diluted it if the profiles would be similar? I haven't had enough JR to offer any direction there, sorry!
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Guru

Yes, and always taste vertically, it's hard to nose when you're horizontal.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Advanced Taster

Back to the original question,

Assuming you are in London...

In a similar profile to Jeff 18, try the current Weller 12. It might also be worth picking up a Weller 107. Both wheated like Jeff 17/18, both great.

I'd also go for a Parker blend of Mashbills.

Not on the same profile, but worth a try are the various Blantons expressions only available in Europe (barrel strength, silver, gold).

All of the above are available at the whiskey exchange in London (except for the barrel strength, but I have purchased it there so I know they do have it on occasion).

I'd also branch out and try one of the Four Roses products.

Joe

Note - I'm in no way affiliated with the Whiskey Exchange.