Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Guru

I was given a bottle of Templeton Rye by Penn State fans staying next to me in MN

Visited my son at the University of MN for the Gopher - Penn State game. Some Penn State fans we staying on the same hotel floor and
    were in a very party mood...ok, they were smashed most of the time...but were friendly. Probably as a gift for being so loud I was given a
    bottle of Templeton Rye. The gal who gave it to me knows the Templeton people well and must have a generous supply from them.
    I had never tried it but they had a bottle open and I had a shot. It is a nice rye, despite its origins and price, which for me - free - its terrific.
    Last edited by Jono; 11-10-2013 at 18:39.

I was given a bottle of Templeton Rye by Penn State fans staying next to me i...

My wife loves templeton, it is best for my marriage to keep at least one unopened bottle in the bunker for emergencies!!

Enthusiast

Re: I was given a bottle of Templeton Rye by Penn State fans staying next to me i...

Nice story, always great to have friendly neighbors... with booze to share.

I had Templeton at a bar and liked it a lot. I remember it reminding me a bit of Rit100. I'd be happy to buy some if it had a better price point.

Guru

Re: I was given a bottle of Templeton Rye by Penn State fans staying next to me i...

I know others have done comparisons but I will have to do a rye flight to sort them out.

Guru

I've got no problem with bulk MGP rye but if I was going to buy a bottle it would be Bulleit, Dickel or such like. I certainly wouldn't pay an extra $20 just for the Templeton label.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Guru

Re: I was given a bottle of Templeton Rye by Penn State fans staying next to me in MN

I agree, I think Templeton is very tasty when the price is right!
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Taster

Re: I was given a bottle of Templeton Rye by Penn State fans staying next to me in MN

Being from Iowa I use to like Templeton, when it had the Barrel , batch, and bottle number on it. Now it just doesn't taste the same and stores have cases of the stuff they can't give away. I have one more bottle of the good stuff I snagged from my mom. She bought up all the good stuff towards the end.

Guru

dreasoner, please understand I do not wish to sound disagreeable but for the benefit of new members or visitors to our site I believe I should make the following statement:

Templeton does not make rye whisky and they never have, from the beginning they purchased bulk rye whisky from LDI and now the same stuff from the successor company MGP. All they do is repackage in a fancy bottle and sell for as much as they can get using fake history and fanciful stories about moonshine from the area being popular with gangsters far away who themselves owned distilleries.

Using batch and barrel number for stuff bought by the tank is typical of the gaming approach that has marked Templeton from the start. They used to spread the BS thicker until publicly called on the carpet by knowledgeable whisky writers such as our own Mr. Cowdery.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    dreasoner, please understand I do not wish to sound disagreeable but for the benefit of new members or visitors to our site I believe I should make the following statement:

Templeton does not make rye whisky and they never have, from the beginning they purchased bulk rye whisky from LDI and now the same stuff from the successor company MGP. All they do is repackage in a fancy bottle and sell for as much as they can get using fake history and fanciful stories about moonshine from the area being popular with gangsters far away who themselves owned distilleries.

Using batch and barrel number for stuff bought by the tank is typical of the gaming approach that has marked Templeton from the start. They used to spread the BS thicker until publicly called on the carpet by knowledgeable whisky writers such as our own Mr. Cowdery.

They still refer to their operation as a "distillery" ...however, in their Lifecycle video they admit the Lawrenceburg distillery and shoot the distillery process at that location. So, they grow some of the rye that goes into the batch for "their special high rye recipe". http://www.templetonrye.com/production/ In essence, they bottle a custom rye...similar to an independent bottler of scotch.

There is nothing wrong with having a custom product made for sale...but it is the lack of transparency that riles people.
    I think the product tastes fine - it is up to the individual taster if they consider it a premium make or not. Is their "custom recipe" (is it identical to Bulleit?) a myth, and is their selection of distillate (if any) deserving of comparison with the others considered premium rye? People will differ.
    Buy whichever is cheaper I guess if you like them...Templeton or Bulleit.

http://templetonrye.com/wp-content/t...t-Download.pdf
    Last edited by Jono; 11-11-2013 at 11:56.

Guru

They grow some rye? Why is that in any way relevant, what counts is who distills it. And what's special about MGP's standard 95% rye mashbill? It's just a cheapened version of the original Seagram recipe of 80% rye and 20% barley malt which made a better whisky.