Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Redbreast 21?

Connoisseur

Re: Redbreast 21?

$240... ouch, I can get a lot of very tasty scotch for that price. And with my current bottle of Redbreast 12 year CS I'm somewhat turned off on the brand. Guess I still with the normal 12...

Less than 10 cases coming to Kentucky, we get one tomorrow. retail of approx 205-220.

Guru

Yeah think ill be skipping at that price, tasty as it sounds. Ill just stock up on Powers instead.

Guru

Yeah, years ago I settled on Powers and don't find myself tempted to change at this time.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Yeah, years ago I settled on Powers and don't find myself tempted to change at this time.
    How do you feel about Powers 12 or Signature vs. Redbreast 12 (non-CS)? I really enjoy Redbreast 12, but it is almost $70 a bottle where I live. I'm not all that in love with Irish whiskey in general, but I try to keep a bottle or two on hand for guests. All the better if I enjoy it (Redbreast 12).

Guru

I prefer the Redbreast CS over either of those, but if you have access to Powers Johns Lane...game over.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    I prefer the Redbreast CS over either of those, but if you have access to Powers Johns Lane...game over.
    I prefer cask strength anything, but unfortunately I have never seen it in my area. Will keep an eye out for Powers Johns Lane then. Thanks.

Guru

gb I don't find the Powers 12 (or the Jamison 12, 1780, etc.) to be a step up enough over the regular lines to be worth the premium price. I've never understood the attraction of Redbreast either except perhaps it was hard to get and that may have made it more desirable to some customers. I can't count the number of Irish expressions I've tasted or served in blind tastings but Powers emerged as the house favorite.

I will admit to one other favorite though, Black Bush, which I suspect I admire for it's balance and complexity rather than sherry casks or any specific note in it's aroma or flavor.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    gb I don't find the Powers 12 (or the Jamison 12, 1780, etc.) to be a step up enough over the regular lines to be worth the premium price. I've never understood the attraction of Redbreast either except perhaps it was hard to get and that may have made it more desirable to some customers. I can't count the number of Irish expressions I've tasted or served in blind tastings but Powers emerged as the house favorite.

I will admit to one other favorite though, Black Bush, which I suspect I admire for it's balance and complexity rather than sherry casks or any specific note in it's aroma or flavor.
    Ive never had the standard offering of Powers, but I love the 12. I need to revist it the Black Bush (don't tell my wife). The extra barreling might be very tasty for a cheaper pour. I'll always love RB12.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Guru

I find the Powers Signature Release to be a nice compromise of price and quality. Not quite Johns Lane but it is clearly related!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum