Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Enthusiast

Re: How Close is OWA 107 to ORVW 107?

I think this years ORVW 107 is comprised of honey barrels and a great whiskey. I've had real good OWAs (alleged 8 years, too), but none that have impressed me as much as this years ORVW 107. I haven't done a side-by-side, so I'm going off memory and gut here. The baseline profile is definitely there for both, but the this years ORVW wins in a landslide.
    Justin

Guru

I wonder if their decision to nix the ORVW 10/90 allowed them to be more choosy with what was made available?
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by darylld911 View Post
    I wonder if their decision to nix the ORVW 10/90 allowed them to be more choosy with what was made available?
    I never understood why they needed 2 proofs of the 10 year old. They probably did it to make more lot B. 2 years later
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden

Guru

Seems to be the way of things, first age statements are dropped yet there seems to be a supply of aged stuff for the higher priced label.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Seems to be the way of things, first age statements are dropped yet there seems to be a supply of aged stuff for the higher priced label.
    So long as they don't discontinue the higher proof offerings to support the lower proof ones. That'd piss me off big time :laugh:
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Restaurant man View Post
    So long as they don't discontinue the higher proof offerings to support the lower proof ones. That'd piss me off big time :laugh:
    Ditto.

Also, if you get the 10/107 at retail, the damage really isn't that bad at +- $40.00.
    Justin

Advanced Taster

I love OWA, it's my favorite regular pour. I had a few pours of this years ORVW last night and I really enjoyed it, as always. For me, the extra few years on the ORVW really gives the sweetness an added balance and depth that you just don't get in the OWA. There's the added oak, leather, and tobacco spice that I love. The other big difference for me is mouthfeel. OWA can be pretty thin, but this ORVW had a much nicer chewiness to it, coating the palate. But at the same time, they are close enough to where I don't find myself fretting over ORVW's lack of availability. I'm just as happy knowing I can get OWA whenever I want it, for half the price.