Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: Achieving Bourbon Zen - A Mini Manifesto

Hmm, well, I just drink it because it makes me happy.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Just catching up with this and I have to say, excepting that you could get Rittenhouse and Pikesville too in selected West Coast stores back in the 80's, that I agree with you. In fact, that is exactly the journey I've taken, except it's taken me 35 years to get there. One could, in the old days, travel at an slacker pace, since good whiskey abounded and high prices did not, but anyway I got there.

In fact, and I will never minimize the (relatively few) highlights, the real value of them was the people and places, not the liquor itself. I remember the late Tim Sousley much better than the sometimes amazing rarities he brought to taste. I remember rocking to Jimi in the car with Thad on the way back from Doug's more than the fab whiskeys on Mr. Philip's table.

But good post, readers can save themselves decades and some greenbucks by following your counsel.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 11-13-2013 at 09:39.

Virtuoso

Well said as always, Squire. While I don't think I've achieved true bourbon Zen, I'm a lot closer. Being a Weller freak I do shed a little tear knowing that I likely missed out on this year's WLW but won't lose any sleep over it. I've managed to acquire a decent stash and am happy with what I have. I passed on a couple of sought-after bottles recently because I just didn't need them so I suppose I've realized a degree of Zen.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

I am super glad that this thread has gotten an overall positive reaction, great to see. I guess the biggest point I wanted to make at the end of the day was that people should relax a little bit on all the mania and count your blessings for what you do have whiskey wise, cuz it's pretty great. I am also NOT saying you shouldn't go after a new, rare release if you can score it, (cuz winning feels great!) but don't let that mission myopically destroy your enjoyment of a glass of OGD, you know? I've found a stash of BTAC before, I've found old SW juice before and even have a decent box of 80's dusties....but I don't want the pursuit of keeping up with the Bourbon Joneses (taste everything new, NOW!) to overshadow the fact that RHF and Blanton's are delicious and if they're all you can find at the moment, who cares!?!?

In the end, Bourbon Zen is the ability to keep calm, and drink on!

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by bingstein View Post
    Right now my every time I drink a fantastic pour I think, "This is fantastic. I want to be able to drink this forever and ever without worrying about it." I believe I will reach total zen when I can take it one step further and say, "I want to be able to drink this forever and ever without worrying about it, but I know that won't be possible, and I'm okay with that."
    +1. This is definitely a flaw in my mentality too. I never want to completely consume a great whisky which encourages me to (attempt to) bunker unnatural quantities. The other dilemma is where to stop. Archive in small bottles, then bigger bottles, then an entire unopened bottle, then multiple bottles, then...

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    It struck me as odd - How could there be BTAC, or rare Willett, or old Four Roses, or whatever else on the table and not just be swarmed and consumed in minutes!? Why were these other bottles even on the table? And that's when I realized that many of these guys had reached this "Zen" or "Homeostasis" you guys are talking about. They weren't interested in a never-ending arms race of hoarding and label chasing. They had been to the mountaintop and had returned to share the bounty, and perhaps some perspective.
    This is a great point. The individuals who are truly "over" (and not simply frustrated by) the need to possess rare, limited and exceptional <insert_any_object_here> are almost always the ones who have been there, done that. It's much easier to let go when you've already experienced the pleasure, the thrill, the satisfaction of what most of us are chasing after. But the reality is that there is great whisky on store shelves all over the world. It takes experience, and more importantly time, to accept than you can get 80% of the quality for 20% of the price when compared to the best.

This cycle will never change, and it's the greater interest from the population that is causing the supply and demand issue. There are always going to be people dropping off as BTAC/Pappy/FRLE consumers, but there are more joining the adventure.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    As Groucho famously said, "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member".
    "A" I remember that quote and "B" I actually know who Groucho was so "C" whiskey hasn't destroyed as many brain cells as my better half thinks.
    Last edited by TunnelTiger; 11-13-2013 at 13:42.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    I find that I am gifting some trophy bottles to friends who prefer those specific profiles more than I, and in turn, I have been gifted bottles in the same way. "Embrace the midshelf" could also be stated as "embrace the bourbon". It's (mostly) all wonderful, and we have more options than ever before. It's a great time to be enjoying whiskey. Do so with good cheer, and good friends.
    I can definitely attest to Josh's generosity after helping me land a bottle not too long back. His generosity has certainly spurned many pay it forward bottles to those I've met in my journey.

I hope to meet many of you at a Gazebo gathering in the not too distant future. Cheers!
    Tyler

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    I do want to give a shout out to SB for being the great resource it is (I've learned a ton!) and for providing a way to meet some really cool folks.
    I have to agree with this quote. I am still a yearling to this "hobby", and I think without SB I might be chasing the uncatchable (at least in Ohio) BTAC/Pappy . Thanks to this site I spend a lot of time reading all the posts, and I have purchased or tried between 25-30 different bourbons and ryes since last January that were discussed or recommended.

It was not until this Monday that I even had a taste of one of the "uncatchable" pours. Thanks to a tip from another SB member (ThirstyinOhio), I stopped by a local whiskey bar that was opening their bottles of GTS. I had two pours that night, the stuff was delicious and I now know what all the hype is about. However, since I have now tasted it that urge to get my hands on a bottle of GTS has subsided a bit, but I would buy it in a second if I found it at decent price.

I am comfortable to continue to grow my collection and try as much as possible. I have already started to find trends in my tastes, and that is thanks to trying A LOT of different pours. It may have missed out if I only settled for the "uncatchables"

Now I am rambling. I will end on that note.

Guru

Oh that's not a bad thing, when it comes to whisky I can ramble for hours.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by rndenks View Post
    I have to agree with this quote. I am still a yearling to this "hobby", and I think without SB I might be chasing the uncatchable (at least in Ohio) BTAC/Pappy . Thanks to this site I spend a lot of time reading all the posts, and I have purchased or tried between 25-30 different bourbons and ryes since last January that were discussed or recommended.

It was not until this Monday that I even had a taste of one of the "uncatchable" pours. Thanks to a tip from another SB member (ThirstyinOhio), I stopped by a local whiskey bar that was opening their bottles of GTS. I had two pours that night, the stuff was delicious and I now know what all the hype is about. However, since I have now tasted it that urge to get my hands on a bottle of GTS has subsided a bit, but I would buy it in a second if I found it at decent price.

I am comfortable to continue to grow my collection and try as much as possible. I have already started to find trends in my tastes, and that is thanks to trying A LOT of different pours. It may have missed out if I only settled for the "uncatchables"

Now I am rambling. I will end on that note.
    Same place that had the GTS is suppose to be opening their Saz 18 today. I'm going to try to head over there after work, so if you see a guy smoking a cigar, holding a glass filled with that beautiful rye juice, and smiling, its probably me.