Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: Achieving Bourbon Zen - A Mini Manifesto

Quote Originally Posted by dmarkle View Post
    I've embraced the middle shelf so hard that I'm scared that one day someone will take it from me. Making Weller SR and 107 NAS has only fueled my paranoia.

This is a cry for help.
    I've been there. I have no cure or anecdote to offer. I just try to drink away the paranoia....and with each passing birthday, I think about how I don't want to leave any behind for family, friends, & enemies when the day arrives.
    Last edited by Old Lamplighter; 11-16-2013 at 15:53.

Enthusiast

I turned 21 in 1986. I've been enjoying whiskey for 27 years. As of November 7th, I've been on straightbourbon.com for 14 of those 27 years. My SB years are just slightly more than half my drinking years.

After nearly three decades of enjoyment, my zen, as it were, is that every glass of whiskey is a snapshot. A freezing of a combination of moments in time, and one colorful shard out of a much larger kaleidoscope. It could be high end, it could be middle shelf, it could be cats and dogs. The important thing is not whether a writer enjoys what's in your glass, but whether you do.

Apprentice

This thread came at a perfect time for me. I have been spending more than I should on bourbons trying to find my niche, even though I have a self imposed limit of $40 dollars for a 750 ml bottle. I had just 2 days before read a post about the "special" Four Roses bottles available at the Visitor Center and was chastising myself for not breaking my $40 dollar rule and buying a bottle while I was there a few weeks prior.

This thread readjusted my thoughts and made me realize that someday I will break my $40 dollar limit (there are some great bourbons for just under $50), but for now I am enjoying the bourbons available to me at under $40 way too much.

I know my "Bourbon Zen" will morph over time, most of it controlled by price. I also know that at this time I am in an equilibrium of contentment at my self imposed price point. There are some great bourbons out there that I am enjoying and really have no need at this time to go beyond.

I also know my contentment is not someone else's contentment and will likely not be mine a couple of years from now. I just know I am happy now with that $25 dollar Craig or that $36 dollar Rare Breed. Thanks for bringing me back.

Connoisseur
    This is a really good thread and a deep thread. It's a tough and discovering thought.

I also have way more bottles opened and unopened than I need. We're not even through majority of the fall releases where i'm at.

I feel that a few in the previous posts have said it best. Bourbon zen is different for everyone at different stages of their bourbon journey. You'll have to have enjoyed the journey as many years as some of our senior members who've been there and tasted through the many years of their journey to truly be in the masters of zen group.

For me at my current stage of my journey, i'm just content and happy that I am blessed enough to enjoy everything that I can afford and am able to stash away any (lower, middle, or upper shelf) selections I really enjoy. I am also happy that I am able to enjoy majority of the selections for what they are, whether they are lower proof, higher proof, wheated, high rye, mystery, etc.
    - H

Guru

Who you calling senior, kid.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Who you calling senior, kid.
    *cough* you *cough*. LOL! On a serious note, it's really most of you member who have been around either on this board or the bourbon scene a while

Oh, I enjoy being called a kid. I feel younger instantly!
    - H

Virtuoso

Perhaps retro grouch would be a more apt description than senior.

(he said with teasing grin) :-)

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbowljoe View Post
    I've been reading this thread with some thought, and a little amusement. A few of you have already touched a bit on what my thoughts are on Bourbon Zen, but I figured I'd go ahead and put in my two cents, or maybe even a nickels worth anyway.

The video below is one example.

Most of y'all know how I am when it comes to analogies. You new folks, well, you'll learn. So, here's one for you. Zen in regards to clothes in place of bourbon.

Zen isn't drooling over that fancy set of suit clothes that you see in a store display (that's usually way overpriced). It's also not coveting your neighbors or fiends walk-in closet full of nice clothes and shoes. Bourbon Zen is being comfortable in wearing your own clothes. It's being happy with what you like, and what you're comfortable with, and not worrying about what other folks think or say.

Shortly after I first joined this site, I jumped right in. Even though I already had a pretty good idea of what I liked, I ignored my feelings. I had to buy anything and everything just because. I started out with only three bottles. OMG! I had to have a bunker. You gotta keep up the other folks you know. So I bought, bought, bought, just because I had to have a bunker. Gotta have the newest releases. Gotta have the special releases. Gotta go hunting for dusties, etc... Before long, I had a nice collection of about 250 bottles or so. Ahhhh, much better. Wait a minute. I sure do have a lot of bottles now. Hmmmmmm. I'm not even sure I'll like some of them. And how on earth am I gonna drink that much whiskey? Oh well. Who cares? I now had a bunker. It maybe wasn't as huge as some, but it was pretty darn good. Suited me just fine. Or did it?

It started dawning on me more and more that I had a strong preference for wheaters. I also took a liking to BIB's. What was I doing with a cabinet full of other stuff too? Maybe I shouldn't have ignored my feelings in the first place. What was I thinking? Fast forward. I have now pared my bunker down, in one way or another, to a much more manageable 135 bottles or so. Of those 135 bottles, 103 are either wheaters and/or BIB's. I also have a few "special" bottles, and dusties. Have I achieved Bourbon Zen? Maybe. Maybe not. Either way, I think I'm probably as close as a person can get. Yes, I still have the urges to go out and buy something just because. Yes, the thoughts of Pappy and BTAC are still in the back of my mind, but I've been there and done that. I can live without the hassles, and the strain on my wallet. All in all, I can say that I'm pretty much happy for the most part.

So, that's what I think about Bourbon Zen. To put it in all in a nutshell, try and find your one thing, and above all, get comfortable.

Cheers! Joe
    Awesome post Joe, and my experience mirrors yours. I've gradually realized that with the exception of Pappy 15, I'm not much of wheater fan at all and prefer my bourbons in the 90-107 proof range. Now what to do with those two cases of Weller.....

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by boneuphtoner View Post
    Now what to do with those two cases of Weller.....
    I have an idea . . .

Advanced Taster

I've been working on reaching this 'level" for the past couple of years and felt I was about there until this week when a retailer called and offered the entire Pappy line at extremely reasonable prices. I turned into Gollum , seeing The Ring. I retained some sense of pride by only buying a few , and walking away from some. Human nature is hard to fight.
    "Abstainer: A weak person who yields to the temptation of denying himself a pleasure."
    Ambrose Bierce