Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
    Disciple

Re: Achieving Bourbon Zen - A Mini Manifesto

Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post
    Now lots of other guys with different perceptions and viewpoints will jump in and tell me why I am wrong...and that is fine.
    I'm your huckleberry.

Thanks largely to SB.com, I've had the chance to taste (and sometimes even own) a lot of whiskies that I would never be able to find/would pass on due to price/etc. I'm grateful to have had the opportunities, and some pours make me wish the brand was still the same, but there's still plenty to enjoy that's readily available. I like building what I saw Gary Gillman describe as a bunker of tasting memories.

If you make it to the gazebo, Doug, Ima make sure you have some dusty Turkey before you leave
    Jim

Enthusiast

This thread just confirmed what I had already come to realize. I have been drinking whisky for quite a while now, I’m soon to be 52, and was quite content with drinking what basically came down to what matched my wallet at the time. I remember not too long ago seeing all those high ends..PVW’s BTAC’s sitting on the shelves thinking ..man those people that are buying these what kind of money are they making to be able to afford these?

THEN…. It happened, I ventured out of my Bourbon zen, and bought something from the middle shelf…EC12,it was all over for me at that point. I had to go further, further, and further, soon becoming an obsession. I would tell myself, I work hard for my money and I deserve this,and besides I’m too old to drink cheap whisky,soon became my motto.

Now I am trying to get back to my bourbon zen, I don’t need all those fancy bottles, but it is a hard habit to break, once gotten into.Is it nice to look at 60 different bottles in front of you and being able to have that big of a choice when it comes time for a pour…Hell yes! The biggest problem with me is that I enjoy every one of them!(ok.. maybe not the Wathen's & Jeremiah weed that was gifted)

I collect old stoneware and just about anything old that I would consider a good buy, so for me it was the hunt and still is. My dad and I would hit any antique malls auctions or rummage sales that we would come across, now you rarely can find anything decent at any of them. Now I have added liquor stores to the list, and same goes for those now also.

I was in Bourbon zen , and now am finding my way back home, I have some regulars that I will always have on hand, rarely will I consider a bottle over $40 unless it was a handle of say BT or EC12 which not too long ago was still under that. I believe that bourbon zen and “what’s in your wallet” go hand in hand.

Well at least I tried up until yesterday when I happened across 2 bottles of bookers 25th,I actually walked out, and called my buddy to see if he wanted one,(to which I already knew the answer)So..back in I went and ended up with both of them 1 for him and 1 for me, after all, I can’t let him have one and not me…. right?
    Last edited by dSculptor; 03-12-2014 at 14:49.
    Everyday my spirit seems to find its way to the bottom of a glass...... Don

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post

If you make it to the gazebo, Doug, Ima make sure you have some dusty Turkey before you leave

and if i can get away from the nursing studies for long enough to make it, I'll toss some Dickel 9 year down your neck!

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post
    and if i can get away from the nursing studies for long enough to make it, I'll toss some Dickel 9 year down your neck!
    Sounds like a good deal to me. Hopefully I'll have had some by then... It got added to the Utah list
    Jim

Taster

Enjoying some WT distilled in the 80s, I'm pretty sure this is bourbon Zen I am experiencing.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Vadertime View Post
    Enjoying some WT distilled in the 80s, I'm pretty sure this is bourbon Zen I am experiencing.
    It's time! IT'S TIME! IT'S. VADER. TIME!

I have my bourbon hall of fame in my house of the bottles we serve and that I try to keep stocked. That is, WT101, OGDBiB, George Dickel #12, any Weller, and Four Roses Small Batch. That is my bourbon zen.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by corpse_welder View Post
    I have my bourbon hall of fame in my house of the bottles we serve and that I try to keep stocked. That is, WT101, OGDBiB, George Dickel #12, any Weller, and Four Roses Small Batch. That is my bourbon zen.
    $15-$30 bottles of readily available stuff that you actually enjoy? now that is zen!

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    It's time! IT'S TIME! IT'S. VADER. TIME!
    Well it darn sure ain't Miller Time!

Taster

I think it's all about achieving a happy medium between the enjoyable search for worthy premiums and the equally enjoyable (but very different) search for cheap, everyday enjoyable pours.

I hope I am getting closer to balance when I get as excited about finding a $17 Fighting Cock 6 year as I do a $40 RHF.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk