Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

View Poll Results: Which would you choose

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Refrigerator with freezer, on the rocks baby

10 55.56%
  • Beverage Center, I sometimes like wine too

2 11.11%
  • Neither. You need more shelf room for Bourbon

6 33.33%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Building Home Bar.....Need your opinion and progress report

hey guys,

As some of you know, I was inspired by the "Pictures of your Home Bar" thread to build a back bar in my basement. Many thanks BourbonDork's Blog for the design layout.

I need your help though.

I am looking to put in either a) a compact refrigerator with freezer b) a beverage center dual zone for both beer and wine.

Each has its pros and cons as noted below.

Refridgerator with freezer
    Pro - has a freezer so I don't have to go upstairs for times when I want to have a pour on the rocks.
    Con - can't hold wine

Beverage Center
    Pro - can hold both wine and beer
    Con - no freezer

Here is what I got built thus far. At a stopping point because the Fridge or Beverage center will be installed under the counter in the middle. Depending on which I go with will dictate the split between this compartment that holds the fridge/beverage center and other side which will hold TBD.

A picture of my progress thus far. All in all, a fund project so far. Only a few busted knuckles and gigantic splinters.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by johnnybogey; 03-03-2015 at 14:08.
    John

Guru

Re: Building Home Bar.....Need your opinion and progress report

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybogey View Post
    hey guys,

As some of you know, I was inspired by the "Pictures of your Home Bar" thread to build a back bar in my basement. Many thanks BourbonDork's Blog for the design layout.

I need your help though.

I am looking to put in either a) a compact refrigerator with freezer b) a beverage center dual zone for both beer and wine.

Each has its pros and cons as noted below.

Refridgerator with freezer
    Pro - has a freezer so I don't have to go upstairs for times when I want to have a pour on the rocks.
    Con - can't hold wine

Beverage Center
    Pro - can hold both wine and beer
    Con - no freezer

Here is what I got built thus far. At a stopping point because the Fridge or Beverage center will be installed under the counter in the middle. Depending on which I go with will dictate the split between this compartment that holds the fridge/beverage center and other side which will hold TBD.

A picture of my progress thus far. All in all, a fund project so far. Only a few busted knuckles and gigantic splinters.

Thanks in advance

If you only sometimes like wine you can go upstairs and get that as needed. I find having the freezer and ice useful especially if you sometimes go the cocktail route.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Virtuoso

Got space in some other corner for a small freezer? We compromised - a beer/wine/soda (no ice) undercounter fridge near the bar area and, in a far corner of the basement, a 3 cu ft freezer from Costco (under/about $250) for ice and funny shaped frozen stuff that takes up too much space in the upstairs fridge. Nice big plastic ice bucket suitable for indoor/outdoor use sits on top.

Disciple

Ice at a convenient distance can be a time/steps saver; but I only use ice occasionally myself, and the extra steps, especially up and down stairs is actually a waistline plus.
    Now, if you do a good deal of entertaining ... serving drinks, both hard and soft, this may be a virtual necessity.
    Your/and your wife's lifestyle (assuming you are married) should dictate the functionality needed beyond purely storage space.

Connoisseur

You could always go with a table top ice maker. I've seen them at home depot for around $150. May give you best of both worlds with the beverage center and an ice maker.

Guru

What are wine and beer? I see those offered at places that don't offer bourbon . . . although in my defense . . . it could be that as soon as I find bourbon available, I stop looking at other beverage options

Seriously though, I like Mark's suggestion - especially if the ice is something that doesn't come up often and is more for entertaining. A tabletop model could be tucked away when not in use or needed. Looks great so far though!! Nicely done John!
    Gary (aka 'Country')
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Advanced Taster

Need a Beer Fridge, I like Wine, and I need space for my Bourbon and other whisky's
    The B's of me: Beer, Bourbon, BBQ, Blues

Regards:
    Rob

Advanced Taster

Ok guys. Ended up going with the compact refrigerator. After hours of research, it seemed like you really need to drop a few hundred dollars for a good beverage center/wine fridge. All the reviews I've read of the lower tier units had bad reviews.

Made some good progress tonight. The selection of the fridge/beverage center, etc... was holding things up as I needed to know the width of the unit so that I could put up a divider to support the counter top.

Hopefully I can get the rest of the counter completed this week so that by the weekend, I can sand, stain and poly.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John

Disciple

Coming along very nicely, my friend. Hat's are off to you! I look forward to viewing the finished edifice (I expect to enjoy it vicariously that way).
    I think you made the absolute best compromise by keeping the space open and adding the small fridge below. Will you install shelves in the space to the left of the fridge?

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Richnimrod View Post
    Coming along very nicely, my friend. Hat's are off to you! I look forward to viewing the finished edifice (I expect to enjoy it vicariously that way).
    I think you made the absolute best compromise by keeping the space open and adding the small fridge below. Will you install shelves in the space to the left of the fridge?
    Thanks Rich for the motivation.

As for the space to the left, I plan to build a cabinet with shelves to hold glassware and items that I wouldn't want sitting on the shelves, e.g. shaker, muddler, etc...
    John