Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

Bourbon Economics

Has anyone seen a breakdown of where the $20 we spend on a bottle of bourbon goes? IOW, how much to the retailer, how much to the distributor, packaging and shipping, taxes, raw materials, and finaly, how much to the producer/distillery? I've seen it for other consumables (wine, for example) and am always suprised to see how much the retailer and the distributor gets and how little the producer gets. Just curious, Thanks.

Doubleblank

Enthusiast

Re: Bourbon Economics

DB,

I don't know the full break-down, but I've always heard people from the industry say that a HUGE percentage of the cost of a bottle goes to TAXES.

Taster

According to Jimmy Russell in the last issue of Malt Advocate, 60-65% of the cost of whiskey is taxes.

Guru

According to Jimmy Russell in the last issue of Malt Advocate, 60-65% of the cost of whiskey is taxes.
    With a few more dollars going to taxes in Alabama.

Tim

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

With that much going to taxes, it doesn't leave much for the producer, the distributor and the retailer. For example, a $10 bottle gives $6 to the tax man. That leaves $4 for the retailer, distributor and finally the producer. You have got to move a lot of cases to make any money at any level. Maybe now I know why the Bourbon shelf is small at my local retailer while the wine racks go forever.