Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New from NoTex

Advanced Taster

New from NoTex

After registering here 1.25 years ago (and reading the boards about every day since), I figured it's about time to actually make my introduction. Started drinking Turkey, and only Turkey, back about '94; after moving to a new area in '10, I was checking out the hooch in my new town and belatedly wondered for the first time what the difference was among all these different brands, expressions and distilleries. Well, that and Turkey Fatigue. Research led me here, among other places. Made the pilgrimage to the Promised Land in summer '12 (and again fall '12 and summer '13), taking the BT Regular Tour, and stopping in to WT, 4R, TPS, and a few others. I've been lucky to drag ~3 boxes of that KY-specific stuff back to TX each time, for me, my favorite bartenders, and the guys I go camping with. I've got a couple dozen open, with my current go-tos being W12, OWA 7, WLW, Jeff 17, CEHT BP I & Tornado (I know, I know), BT SOP 131, OC12 90, VOB BIB, and Tom Moore BIB. I've learned a lot from all y'all (thanks!!), and look forward to finally contributing *something* back -- if not knowledge, then at least some opinions.

Guru

Re: New from NoTex

Hey Eskwar, welcome aboard, you've got the bases covered so I look forward to your contributions.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Advanced Taster

Squire, I'm guessing your ears were burning as I typed "I've learned a lot from y'all." Thanks to you, my default pour at my favorite local restaurant-bar is OGD BIB. Happily, I discovered VOB BIB thanks to a nice lady in Frankfort and, even more happily, it's plentiful in the 'Plex. I appreciate your welcoming me into the fold, and will cite your cornerstone precedents when they apply.

Connoisseur

Here's my formal Welcome Eskwar!
    Glad you're on 'the board'. As far as having 'questionable knowledge', but certainly opinions to share....
    Most of us have questionable stuff in our noggins, so your comments and opinions are as welcome as a sunny day in January, and will fit right in, I'm sure. ....And.....I'm glad you'll be contributing!

Advanced Taster

Thank you for the greeting, RNR. As an OH refugee who returns frequently (and a former repeat vacationer in the greater Seney-Germfask area), I know the value of a sunny day in January!

Guru

A belated welcome to the board Eskwar!
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Virtuoso

Good Day Eskwar, glad you have come out and posted. Your right about this being a good place to learn. If you are getting back to KY you should try during the Sampler the weekend before the Derby or the Bourbon Festival in September.

Best regards, Tony

Advanced Taster

Thanks for the welcome, CW and Tony. I also appreciate the invite to the KY events -- I've enjoyed reading about y'alls' exploits the past few years, and have been absolutely floored by pics of the Gazebo table. The generosity of past attendees to those events has encouraged me the past couple years to follow that lead and bring interesting bottles to share with friends at campouts and parties.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Eskwar View Post
    bring interesting bottles to share with friends at campouts and parties.
    MY KIND of GUY, for sure! You'll definitely be welcome as well as probabaly (re?) floored by the Gazebo table. My son and I expect to attend the Sampler this Spring. I look forward to seeing you there.

Guru

Welcome Eskwar. There are a couple of meetings a year in Houston if you can make it. They are posted in the Bourbon Social forum.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.