Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shipping help

Taster

Shipping help

Quick question...I have been traveling for a few weeks and have acquired quite a few (7 and counting ) bottles if bourbon ( including pvw20, pvw15, BTAC GTS and WLW ) however, with 4 days before I go home, travel is shaping up to be difficult. I have a good sized collection at home and am very diligent to monitor storage conditions ( light, humidity, temp etc... ). All bottles are stored standing up to prevent cork damage.

For my current dilemma, I am thinking of UPS'ing the bottles to myself....would the bottles sitting on their side for 2-3 days cause any damage or is it unlikely to matter given the short time period? Thanks in advance.

Advanced Taster

Re: Shipping help

They should be fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    One whiskey for every ghost.

Connoisseur

Never had any issues with bottles being shipped to Hawaii and it sometimes takes up to a week to get here.
    Peggy: Look Al, the rubes think I'm sexy!
    Al: So would I if I had whiskey for breakfast.

Connoisseur

"Fragile - This Side Up" How hard is that?

Guru

youve obviously never worked for a carrier.....it will be put upright, on its side, upside down....you name it.

It's not gonna matter. Just pad the shit out of it. With the price of those bottles, I think I'd put it in a cardboard tube and THEN pad the hsit out of it inside a box.

Guru

The bottles should not suffer any damage from positions but might from handling. A rifle shipped to a gunsmith I know arrived at his shop with the barrel sticking out of it's shatterproof aluminum case, curtsey of UPS.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Taster

Thanks...I will be taking extreme padding precautions, and will of course write "this side up" etc...on the box. That said, I won't put much faith in the men and women of UPS ( although to be fair, they have never damaged a package )...I was just ensuring 3-4 days of booze on the corks won't cause permanent damage. I'll give it a go. Thanks everyone.

Enthusiast

keep in mind you can check up to 5 liters of less than 140 proof n your baggage on US airlines. I do this all the time when going on business trips, would at least do this with the most expensive bottles if you can.

Enthusiast

Don't worry about cork damage. Just think what those bottles go through on their journey from Kentucky to an in-state distributor, then to your retailer. A few days on the cork isn't going to do any perceivable damage, and the cork won't continue to be affected by the alcohol after the bottle is returned to an upright position and the cork dries out.

As for transportation, I buy a cardboard box and 100' of large bubble wrap from a U-Haul store for transporting large quantities as checked baggage. I individually wrap each bottle, then pad the interior of the box and stuff any gaps. Never had a problem except one that was minor and will never happen again. I had a bottle of OC10 that was unopened and was sealed enough to toss around, but the screw cap was just loose enough to leak about a tablespoon of bourbon into the box. Didn't saturate anything, but the smell of bourbon as I unpacked was disoncerting until I found the cause. I tighten down the screw caps now.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by grantsi View Post
    Quick question...I have been traveling for a few weeks and have acquired quite a few (7 and counting ) bottles if bourbon ( including pvw20, pvw15, BTAC GTS and WLW ) however, with 4 days before I go home, travel is shaping up to be difficult. I have a good sized collection at home and am very diligent to monitor storage conditions ( light, humidity, temp etc... ). All bottles are stored standing up to prevent cork damage.

For my current dilemma, I am thinking of UPS'ing the bottles to myself....would the bottles sitting on their side for 2-3 days cause any damage or is it unlikely to matter given the short time period? Thanks in advance.
    You picked up these bottles while traveling?! I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I've given up trying to land GTS or Pappy and you were able to find them while traveling. It's like George in Seinfeld deciding to do the opposite, and it working. In any case, enjoy the haul.
    Mark
    "...that we here highly resolve that these empty bottles shall not have been drunk in vain..."