Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Holiday sales?

Disciple

Holiday sales?

Since I've only been into bourbon about a year now, and last year at this time I was mostly creating spiced cider-bourbon mixtures, I don't know about any yearly Holiday sales or not. So, do stores put on any significant sales for bourbon/whiskey during this time of year, or is demand high enough already during this time of year that stores have no incentive to do so? If so, I may just load up over the holidays....maybe grab a bunch of new things I haven't tried yet.

Doug

Guru

Re: Holiday sales?

Around here they do, it's the peak sales time for some stores.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

Hey Fox, in Michigan the stores aren't allowed to do 'sale-priced' items per se.
    They are allowed to reduce 'inflated' prices down to the "State Minimum" allowable price for retail sale. Many/most retailers already sell at State Minimum and advertize such to maintain a competitive profile. I do know that many brands do special 'Holiday' packaging as promotion for their stuff. In Michigan, I don't think they're allowed to raise the price, so you wind up with a couple free 'rocks glasses' or some other packaged 'sweetener' along with your bottle for no upcharge. So, you can re-supply your glassware for free, but get no "bargains" on the actual Bourbon you buy in these packages.

Virtuoso

No sales in my area. Not enough competition.

Virtuoso

KY it seems to be more "gift sets" where they include glassware, etc. Though a few stores take $1-2 off a bottle, i don't remember anything extreme last year. As a gift those gift sets are great, but once you have enough glasses...sort of wasteful.

Virtuoso

Several larger chains in Indiana run special holiday tasting events and sales, with pricing for spirits between 10% to 20% off, depending on the chain. They often run even better sales on wines. Most start in late November or early December.

As an example, http://www.crownliquors.net/Tastings.aspx?EventId=445
    Last edited by mbroo5880i; 11-18-2013 at 08:38.

Connoisseur

If I were in Louisville, I'd stop by the Liquor Barn and Costco. They always have something on sale regardless of season. In control states, the price is what it is, also regardless of season, and the selection is what they think we would like if we were only smart enough to figure it out.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Disciple

I didn't think about control states.....so, for non-control states, what kind of sales do they put on and when should one start looking?

also, I've never been to Costco, as it is waaay across town where we practically never go. But, I just looked on their website, and it doesnt require Costco membership to shop their liquor store, and they have Booker's for $39.99. That may warrant a trip out there during the Christmas shopping season.
    Last edited by 393foureyedfox; 11-18-2013 at 09:34.

Taster

In NY more stuff comes in gift giving packaging. If the price is lowered, I never noticed.

Connoisseur

It need not be a "sale" to be a great value. I bought a liter of WT101 at Costco for $22.95. In OH, a liter goes for $30.80. One should "start looking" every time one passes a liquor store.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.