Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Holiday sales?

Disciple

Re: Holiday sales?

My Costco used to have more variety. Now it just has WR, MM and Kirkland.

Guru

At least you have a Costco, I would have to travel.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

My impression is, if you like something popular, you might be able to get some free glasses.

Advanced Taster

PA is a control state, so there's not a lot that individual stores can do at holiday time. Some manufacturers will pair glasses, 50 ml samples of alcohol, flasks, and other gifts into a gift box set for the same price as the normal bottle. In non-controlled states, these holiday gift packs often go on sale after christmas since they take up more space on shelves than bottles alone

Guru

So far, all I have seen is some gift boxes. Like, there are a few places I have seen a Beam gift set with a 750 bottle of JBW, and a 30 or 50oz sample of Jacobs Ghost and JBB and I think even a set of glasses with it for $14. That would be a steal, if I actually liked any of the contents inside other than the glasses.

I was hoping more for sale prices on regularly offered stuff, but even if they do that, it is probably just going to be the regular popular stuff like JB, WT, KC, MM, etc.

New Year's ought to be the mother of all liquor sales. Do sale prices typically show up more around then?

The Voshole

Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post
    I've never been to Costco, as it is waaay across town where we practically never go. But, I just looked on their website, and it doesnt require Costco membership to shop their liquor store, and they have Booker's for $39.99. That may warrant a trip out there during the Christmas shopping season.
    Really??????? Driving across town is something you have to talk yourself into?
    Lead me not into temptation - I can find the way myself

Advanced Taster

His gas isnt 100 proof and smells of 4r and ECBP, so he doesnt like to use it. HAHA Just playing fox.

Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post
    So far, all I have seen is some gift boxes. Like, there are a few places I have seen a Beam gift set with a 750 bottle of JBW, and a 30 or 50oz sample of Jacobs Ghost and JBB and I think even a set of glasses with it for $14. That would be a steal, if I actually liked any of the contents inside other than the glasses.

I was hoping more for sale prices on regularly offered stuff, but even if they do that, it is probably just going to be the regular popular stuff like JB, WT, KC, MM, etc.

New Year's ought to be the mother of all liquor sales. Do sale prices typically show up more around then?
    Ky is a fairly competitive market year round for booze. Loss leaders are not allowed so seeing more than 10-15% savings isn't going to happen.

Big box and chain stores will run sale items at 50 cents to a dollar over cost. Hoping to lure you in with that low advertised price on Korbel champagne for example. Taking the chance that you will pick up your beer, bourbon and mixers (at normal margins) in the same trip.

Occasionally the manufacturers and distributors put out crazy deals certain times of year. The consumer sees it as a deal but the store is making the same or even more than normal off that bottle.

Trippah and Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Flyfish View Post
    If I were in Louisville, I'd stop by the Liquor Barn and Costco. They always have something on sale regardless of season. In control states, the price is what it is, also regardless of season, and the selection is what they think we would like if we were only smart enough to figure it out.

Ohio runs monthly specials on liquor, as does Pennsylvania.

Living in a control state isn't all gloom and doom (not all, but some).
    Last edited by callmeox; 11-18-2013 at 19:27.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

For anyone in Virginia, all ABC stores are having their annual 10% off sale on Black Friday