Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: Collingwood 21yr Rye

Glenfiddich is the one I name when asked for a recommendation from someone who hasn't tried a single malt.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Glenfiddich is the one I name when asked for a recommendation from someone who hasn't tried a single malt.
    I rotate between glenfiddich, glenmorangie, and oban as my most recommended first timer malts depending on who is asking and their taste in food.

Enthusiast

Yesterday I asked an LCBO employee if he could tell me anything about a release date for the Collingwood 21yr Rye. His answer after looking it up was no...

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    Yesterday I asked an LCBO employee if he could tell me anything about a release date for the Collingwood 21yr Rye. His answer after looking it up was no...
    ... and the "answer" surprised you?
    "Old guys tend to say it like it is." squire

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by portwood View Post
    ... and the "answer" surprised you?
    I saw it on the shelf at the Total Wine here in Bellevue, WA for $53 before tax (call it $66 or so after tax). At least it was a Collingwood 21 year something, I assume the rye.

Enthusiast

I got got a virtual copy of Cdn whisky news (Davin's newsletter) and he stated it should be available at the LCBO in December...

Guru

Took the Collingwood cologne out for a spin yesterday. If you remove the big plastic pop top it looks more like a normal bottle along the lines of the Jim Beam Signature craft line and thus a bit less like cologne!

This was a bit more woody than expected. Not overwhelming but w=more than I had expected. That made have had more to do with my expectations than reality given it is a 21yo whiskey aged in well scharred new barrels by all accounts.

Depite that (and perhaps for some people because of that) that was a bit different from WP and the others while still being a very interesting drink. It has a subtle mild sweetness but I did not get a strong sense of maple from it. Indeed if I had not known it was finished with maplew0od staves I probably would not be able to tell. But it also had tons of rye fruitiness and spice even after 21 years.

Perhpas not for everyone but at the price locally of around $60 it seemed well worth trying.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Taster

Thanks for the tasting notes, tanstaafl2. I was on the fence about this one, but your review is nudging me towards picking up a bottle.

Guru

Wow, some serious typos in that one. That Collingwood must have been stronger than I thought despite the low proof!

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Took the Collingwood cologne out for a spin yesterday. If you remove the big plastic pop top it looks more like a normal bottle along the lines of the Jim Beam Signature craft line and thus a bit less like cologne!

This was a bit more woody than expected. Not overwhelming but w=more than I had expected. That made have had more to do with my expectations than reality given it is a 21yo whiskey aged in well scharred new barrels by all accounts.

Depite that (and perhaps for some people because of that) that was a bit different from WP and the others while still being a very interesting drink. It has a subtle mild sweetness but I did not get a strong sense of maple from it. Indeed if I had not known it was finished with maplew0od staves I probably would not be able to tell. But it also had tons of rye fruitiness and spice even after 21 years.

Perhpas not for everyone but at the price locally of around $60 it seemed well worth trying.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post

Ha! When I picked up a bottle over the weekend the guy next to me in line made the same comment about the bottle.
    Richard
    GBS Member rounding out the top 5
    Are you a Whisk(e)y Apostle?