Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Novice

New distillery opening in my town in Sept.

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Re: New distillery opening in my town in Sept.

"Baker said the company intends to do this by offering a unique sweet mash process that is more expensive and time consuming for mainstream distilleries driven by the economy and revenue.

Wilderness Trace Distillery’s “Wilderness Trace Bourbon” and “Kentucky Blue Vodka” will be among the purest and clean in the industry, Baker said.

For example, Greygoose vodka is distilled four times, he said. Wilderness Trace will distill its vodka 17 times, offering a “very unique” product.

In addition, the distillery plans to offer a once-a-year product that is nearly unheard of — a 34-times distilled “heart-cut vodka.”"

I would not have too high of hopes based on the above from article.

Enthusiast

New distillery opening in my town in Sept.

I thought it sounded good until the "we will cut the 4 years aging down to 5 months by using small barrels" part.

Guru

Yeah, may want to rethink that if their focus is truly on quality. I still love ya though, Danville.

Apprentice

I'd like to reflect on something Chuck said earlier this week about his excitement with the MGPI new mash bills, and that is that I believe we'll get better quality out of people buying that product and aging/blending it than we will from people making their own product. At this point, we're paying a high premium for sub-par products from most (not all) craft distillers so we can finance their learning curve. This doesn't mean I'm against craft distillers at all, and I understand they have to charge more because they don't benefit from economies of scale, but I can't remember the last time I bought a second bottle of a craft distilled BOURBON after buying the first one. I've bought second bottles of craft rum, gin, other whiskey styles, but bourbon really is a fickle mistress that takes time to learn.

Guru

When the micros describe their operation it sounds as if they are all singing from the same songbook.

Connoisseur

most use the one provided by Bill Owens. False doctrine.

Guru

Not expecting much, but at $20 I'll give the bourbon a shot down the line. Won't find that hymn in many micro songbooks.

Novice

Thank you for the comments, we have had tremendous support from Danville and we hope you come by and visit when we open up. We are progressing with construction very well and we hope September / October we will be open. We also wanted to clarify a few things.. "we didn't write the article, and there were a few things that were reported on incorrectly". Albeit the reporter did a great job translating a complex story, our main production by design will fill two 53 gallon barrels per week + a little extra to assure we fill two barrels. The little bit extra we "discussed" we could put that in smaller barrels..which went into a whole other discussion but was reported differently. We are not planning to shorten any maturation process..it will take 4-7 years in the 53 gallon barrels in our climate. We have designed our two column still to produce a Vodka so pure it wouldn't require filtration or to produce our Bourbon with the exact amount of copper exposure at the right vapor rates for the best congener mixture. We are not new to fermentation or making alcohol, this has been the foundation of our careers, so we are excited to bring our expertise into our own craft operation to produce spirits that we like to drink and from our experience the best way to make the best tasting spirits. For example our Sweet Mash process for our Bourbon.. we believe once you taste the difference you will want to know more about it. Thank you again for the support and hearing from the newspaper article critics'..we want to get the correct message out there and we don't mind answering any questions.

Guru

Thanks for stopping by and talking shop with us. Very glad to hear of the corrections, clarifications to the article. I like the approach you guys are taking. Where in Danville are/will you be located?