Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Taster

Re: Thanksgiving bourbon/rye

i have a house full coming over. i'm going to make them feel special with a 60/40 SB Blend served from a Pappy 15 bottle.

j/k maybe.

Connoisseur

I like the idea of Rare Breed, but that may too much proof for the masses. Go with WT 101 or 81...unless they already know the good stuff...then go with RB.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    I like the idea of Rare Breed, but that may too much proof for the masses. Go with WT 101 or 81...unless they already know the good stuff...then go with RB.

I am going with Rare Breed as my primary. I will likely be the only one drinking bourbon, so I don't need to cater to the masses. Other than that, I am thinking I will have some AE rye, and whatever else pops out. I just baked a pecan pie tonight, so I am gearing up.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Fodowsky View Post
    i have a house full coming over. i'm going to make them feel special with a 60/40 SB Blend served from a Pappy 15 bottle.

j/k maybe.
    Dude, thats awesome, you totally should do that. It's not like most people could tell the difference, and I'm most likely included there.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dementedavenger View Post
    Soak two cups of raw, unsalted pecans in water for 30 minutes. Strain the pecans out and put them on baking sheet. Season with 1/2 teaspoon of sale, 1/2 teaspoon of pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper (or, do what I did and season with cinnamon and nutmeg) and bake at 300-degrees for 20 minutes. Let the pecans cool. Put them in a container with a 750ml bottle of rye and let them infuse for 4-7 days, shaking/stirring once daily. Strain through cheese cloth and bottle. A bartender gave me a taste of his pecan-infused rye (he used cinnamon only) and it tasted like pecan pie. Had a bottle of Rittenhouse sitting around do I gave it a whirl. I'm going to taste on Tuesday or Wednesday.
    Seems like those filtered out pecans left over would be tasty too, even if they were a mushy pulp!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Fodowsky View Post

j/k maybe.
    Hot damn that's brilliant! Now I know what I'm doing with the nearly empty Pappy20 bottle at home
    Richard
    GBS Member rounding out the top 5
    Are you a Whisk(e)y Apostle?

Advanced Taster

Hmm, this might be an occasion to open up my bottle of FRLT125th. Decisions, decisions....

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Seems like those filtered out pecans left over would be tasty too, even if they were a mushy pulp!
    I just dumped the rye back into a bottle. Was surprised by how much the pecans soaked up (probably 150ml). Pecans aren't mushy at all. Trying to decide whether to just bake them or candy them (involves lots of butter, sugar, etc.).

Disciple

I may have some Gold Foil, or maybe some WTRye101, but since I wanna enjoy myself on Turkey Day, I will serve nothing current from WT.

(My apologies to WT fans.)

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by BigRich View Post
    Hot damn that's brilliant! Now I know what I'm doing with the nearly empty Pappy20 bottle at home
    Might need to add a couple drops of liquid smoke if you're using the 20 yr bottle...