Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Thanksgiving bourbon/rye

So, I'm in charge of providing a whiskey for Thanksgiving this year and while I'm a huge fan of scotch, I'm thinking something a little more domestic would make sense. That being said I'm a little confused as to what whiskey would make the most sense to enjoy after a traditional Thanksgiving meal. I thought about breaking out my 2012 THH but I've heard that pairs better with Christmas due to the spices. So that has me turning towards bourbon, maybe a wheater like WLW? Or something with a little less punch (ABV) but on the rye side of things like a 4R SmB (non barrel proof)? I have a decent bunker,for a non bourbon aficionado, with about 50 bottles on hand so there is plenty to choose from.

Does anyone have any suggestions? It does not necessarily have to pair with the food though I can break it out during the meal if that makes more sense. This is the reason I posted here and not in bourbon and food, I had planned it as a separate "course" all unto itself.

Thanks!

Connoisseur

Re: Thanksgiving bourbon/rye

I'm bringing some Big Bottom port finished to share with 'everyone', in case some non-whiskey drinkers want a pour. Seems like it'd compliment a huge meal beforehand, too. I'll have some other stuff for the more serious bourbon fans.

Connoisseur

Will be drinking FC at Thanksgiving not because it is particularly appropriate to the season but because my daughter and her husband will be here. Both went to grad school at SC and FC is the official beverage. You might find that a nice soft wheater would go well after the turkey or while you are watching the Macy's parade or the football game.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Enthusiast

rare breed
    "Sat down to my supper twas a bottle of red whiskey" -Dire Wolf

Virtuoso

Angel's Envy or Angel's Envy Rye would make good after dinner drinks for most anyone interested.

Guru

I would serve what the guests like as I can drink my favorites any ole time.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Lazer View Post
    rare breed
    +1; it is Turkey day after all!
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Angel's Envy or Angel's Envy Rye would make good after dinner drinks for most anyone interested.
    I like this suggestion because AE is a pretty smooth bourbon that would appeal to a broad spectrum of people. And it is a special type of bottling for a special occasion. You could always bring a more higher end bourbon that you think bourbon drinkers or more adventurous persons might enjoy trying.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by mbroo5880i View Post
    I like this suggestion because AE is a pretty smooth bourbon that would appeal to a broad spectrum of people. And it is a special type of bottling for a special occasion. You could always bring a more higher end bourbon that you think bourbon drinkers or more adventurous persons might enjoy trying.
    Agreed. We recently tried the regular AE and did not much care for it when stacked up against other, BP bourbons but it was out of it's element there. On it's own after a full dinner and maybe with some pie it would go well. I don't currently have the regular AE on hand but I do have a bottle of the AE Rye which would also go well with desert. Hmm...

I also like the WT suggestions given the "turkey" in the name

Guru

Wild Turkey Gold Labelled 12 year will be the Thanksgiving Day pour in my house. If I didn't have that it would be some other WT product. Isn't there a code that states you must have Turkey on Turkey Day?