Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
About time Dickel got more recognition and if this is the direction Diageo is headed with the brand then they're on the right path. Anybody talked with John Lunn?
Funny you should mention this Squire, as John called me yesterday, but I didn't have time to take his call. I happened to be knee deep with Rutledge, Wheatley and Russell in a crazy Nassau game at Pebble Beach. Something like 50 cents is on the line, when the cell phone rings, and Russell yaks one into the Pacific on 18. After bitching for 10 minutes that he should get a mulligan because of the cell phone ring distraction, he goes to looking, and claims he finds it sitting on top of a seal...unplayable lie...gets a fab drop...and proceeds to jack a 3 iron to 2 feet of the stick...Big argument ensued, but luckily I was able to diffuse the situation by offering to pick up the tab at the 19th hole...Met Josey...(our code word for Clint Eastwood) for drinks and dinner at his place in Carmel. "Rut" brought a bottle of a 16yr barrel proof rye that 4R secretly did to dinner, and it was superb. At his insistence, I promised not to utter a word of it's existence....Sure. The weirdest part of the day was the golf balls that Wheatley had. Looked like Titleists, but had a picture of JVW's face printed on it. He always had the picture facing the club when he swung (swang?...dunno...) for some reason. We asked him why, but he just got quiet, giggled, and muttered something about mammy's boy...Big hitter, though...

Hope to meet up with "Rut" again tomorrow for lunch, as he is in ATL....Sorry, got to run...Noe's ringing in...