Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Re: Interesting article from MSN today................

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    About time Dickel got more recognition and if this is the direction Diageo is headed with the brand then they're on the right path. Anybody talked with John Lunn?
    Funny you should mention this Squire, as John called me yesterday, but I didn't have time to take his call. I happened to be knee deep with Rutledge, Wheatley and Russell in a crazy Nassau game at Pebble Beach. Something like 50 cents is on the line, when the cell phone rings, and Russell yaks one into the Pacific on 18. After bitching for 10 minutes that he should get a mulligan because of the cell phone ring distraction, he goes to looking, and claims he finds it sitting on top of a seal...unplayable lie...gets a fab drop...and proceeds to jack a 3 iron to 2 feet of the stick...Big argument ensued, but luckily I was able to diffuse the situation by offering to pick up the tab at the 19th hole...Met Josey...(our code word for Clint Eastwood) for drinks and dinner at his place in Carmel. "Rut" brought a bottle of a 16yr barrel proof rye that 4R secretly did to dinner, and it was superb. At his insistence, I promised not to utter a word of it's existence....Sure. The weirdest part of the day was the golf balls that Wheatley had. Looked like Titleists, but had a picture of JVW's face printed on it. He always had the picture facing the club when he swung (swang?...dunno...) for some reason. We asked him why, but he just got quiet, giggled, and muttered something about mammy's boy...Big hitter, though...

Hope to meet up with "Rut" again tomorrow for lunch, as he is in ATL....Sorry, got to run...Noe's ringing in...
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Funny you should mention this Squire, as John called me yesterday, but I didn't have time to take his call. I happened to be knee deep with Rutledge, Wheatley and Russell in a crazy Nassau game at Pebble Beach. Something like 50 cents is on the line, when the cell phone rings, and Russell yaks one into the Pacific on 18. After bitching for 10 minutes that he should get a mulligan because of the cell phone ring distraction, he goes to looking, and claims he finds it sitting on top of a seal...unplayable lie...gets a fab drop...and proceeds to jack a 3 iron to 2 feet of the stick...Big argument ensued, but luckily I was able to diffuse the situation by offering to pick up the tab at the 19th hole...Met Josey...(our code word for Clint Eastwood) for drinks and dinner at his place in Carmel. "Rut" brought a bottle of a 16yr barrel proof rye that 4R secretly did to dinner, and it was superb. At his insistence, I promised not to utter a word of it's existence....Sure. The weirdest part of the day was the golf balls that Wheatley had. Looked like Titleists, but had a picture of JVW's face printed on it. He always had the picture facing the club when he swung (swang?...dunno...) for some reason. We asked him why, but he just got quiet, giggled, and muttered something about mammy's boy...Big hitter, though...

Hope to meet up with "Rut" again tomorrow for lunch, as he is in ATL....Sorry, got to run...Noe's ringing in...
    Ruts a doosh. F'ker stole my wallet last time he came 'round. Plus he sucks at golf. When he comes around he asks ME to sign HIS bottles. Of course I refuse....
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post

"Rut" brought a bottle of a 16yr barrel proof rye that 4R secretly did to dinner, and it was superb. At his insistence, I promised not to utter a word of it's existence....Sure.
    ***/CLAXONS GOING OFF/***

¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Enthusiast

I guess crown royal is pretty friggen big.

Anyway... This orphan barrel deal looks like a ripoff. Why you ask? Obviously it comes from the Dickel distillery but they are re-branding it, not selling it as Dickel. If it was truly great stuff they should call it Dickel so people would say, "wow I love Dickel! Give me more Dickel! But they aren't they're calling it orphan barrel so that when they rip you off with over-aged gross stuff you won't be turned off from the Dickel brand name.
    "Sat down to my supper twas a bottle of red whiskey" -Dire Wolf

Disciple

Harlan is a card.

He really should share some of his balls with the rest of the world. That would be a hoot!
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    ***/CLAXONS GOING OFF/***

Yeah - FR Rye should NEVER be joked about . . . reading Joe's hilarious post I was laughing until I got to that point and thought "Holy sh!t . . . is THAT part REAL?!?!"

Or maybe I should just stay of SB until I've had coffee
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins